Remove spalsh screen in win 8 store app

Question

• Hello all,

I wonder if I can make win 8 store apps start without showing a splash screen ?

Thanks in advance.

Wednesday, March 25, 2015 8:28 AM

Answers

• No.

The splash screen is there as a placeholder while the app launches. Build your app to load as quickly as possible so that the splash screen is visible for the shortest possible time. On slow systems (e.g. a Surface RT) your splash screen will show for longer than on a fast desktop PC.

Part of modern UI design in Windows is to respond as soon as the user acts, such as clicking on the tile to launch your app. Since your app will take a second or two to load (some loading time is unavoidable) there are two choices:

1) Do nothing for a couple of seconds while the app loads in the background, then display the app once it's loaded

2) Immediately show the splash screen while the app loads, then replace it with the app once it's ready.

Option 1 is very bad for the user because they click something, but nothing happens. They might click again thinking the app isn't loading. The system will feel slow and unresponsive, like there is a 2-second delay between pressing a tile and the app launching.

Option 2 gives immediate feedback when the user acts, even though that feedback can be a splash screen/loading dialog. The user knows their intent is being actioned and that the app is getting ready.

To minimise the splash screen, save any long-running tasks until your app is fully loaded. Make sure you have something to show the user as quickly as possible. One of my apps caches data to disk and reloads that data very quickly when the app is launched - giving the user the feeling of immediate response even though after that data loads the app goes off and downloads updated data from the Internet.

I'm a self-taught noob amateur. Please take this into account when responding to my posts or when taking advice from me.

Wednesday, March 25, 2015 10:02 AM