HTTP 500 Internal Server Error RRS feed

• Question

• When I create a new web application in SharePoint 2010 (Central Admin), using "Claim Based Authentication", I keep getting this HTTP 500 error. I have tried all the things I have read from various posts but none seem to resolve my issue. However, I did notice that when I create the web application using "Classic Mode Authentication", everything seems to work just fine. 

Is there a reason why this is the case? Has anyone seen this issue in the past, and if so...could you please share the knowledge on what the cause is and what can be done to fix it?

Thanks a bunch.

Wednesday, June 12, 2013 4:26 PM

Answers

• Hello

Is this HTTP/HTTPS?  I have seen this happen when you create a HTTPS site but accidentally do not change the port.  Check IIS bindings if this is the case.  

MCITP-EA | "Never test how deep the water is with both feet"

• Marked as answer by Qiao Wei Monday, June 24, 2013 2:36 AM
    Tuesday, June 18, 2013 4:49 PM

All replies

• Hello

Are you getting the 500 internal server error creating the web application or it gets created and then you receive this error browsing to it?  What type of authentication provider are you selecting when creating claims aware?

Wednesday, June 12, 2013 5:36 PM
  • Hello Spawn ,

Please share ULS Log . 

try below resolution:

1. Clear Cookies from browser . 
    2. Open Central Administrator through IP address then Try .

Wednesday, June 12, 2013 5:39 PM
  • Check the Application Event Log on the server.  Generally 500 errors are logged there with more detail.

SharePoint - Nauplius Applications
    Microsoft SharePoint Server MVP
    MCITP: SharePoint Administrator 2010

-----------------------
    This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Wednesday, June 12, 2013 6:12 PM
  • Thanks for your response ThatGuyRyan, 

I am able to create the web application, but getting the 500 error when I try to browse to it.

Tuesday, June 18, 2013 4:16 PM
  • Hello

Is this HTTP/HTTPS?  I have seen this happen when you create a HTTPS site but accidentally do not change the port.  Check IIS bindings if this is the case.  

• Marked as answer by Qiao Wei Monday, June 24, 2013 2:36 AM
    Tuesday, June 18, 2013 4:49 PM