none
Keyboard and mouse lagging on laptop RRS feed

• Question

• Don't know if anyone else has posted this questions.  This is my first time on a forum, but I've exhausted all of my computer skills.  Ocasionally but not all of the time my keyboard and mouse lag on my laptop.  It doesn't do it all of the time but when it goes they both lag and when it works they work as if nothing is wrong.  My laptop is  an E1505 with a dual core T2300 @ 1.66Ghz.  I have the mother board maxed out with 2GB's of ram.  I am running Windows Vista premium, 32bit.  I have re-enstalled Vista and it worked great for a while, but started doing it again.  I went to the device manager and uninstalled the keyboard and mouse and that didn't help either.  I shut the computer down last night when that didn't work and when my son started it up it worked fine and has for a couple of hours.  What gives?  Has anyone else seen this?  I know the computer is not Dell's top of the line but I can't believe it would do this.  Any suggestions?
    Friday, June 12, 2009 4:39 AM

All replies

• Hi hen5th,

Perhaps it would be useful to try capturing an xperf trace.  Download and install the Windows Performance Toolkit .  Then, from a CMD prompt execute:
     xperf -on DiagEasy+PROFILE

Then, recreate the problem.
    Once you’ve recreated the problem, run:
     xperf –d merged.etl

Then, ZIP merged.etl and password protect it.  Upload the ZIP file somewhere, and share the location either publicly or privately.  Share the password privately with those you would have analyze the log.

Friday, June 12, 2009 9:53 AM
  • You'll also want to capture stacks on at least the PROFILE events - i.e.:

xperf -on DiagEasy+PROFILE -stackwalk Profile

Cheers,
    Michael
    Monday, June 15, 2009 5:06 PM
  • Hey it's me.  I guess I tried doing what you explained, and yeah...I guess I can't figure out how to do it.  I thought I knew quite a bit about computers but you got me lost.  I hope someone can give me a solution in english.  Anyone?

Tuesday, June 16, 2009 3:11 AM
  • Have you gotten as far as downloading and installing the Windows Performance Toolkit, from the previously supplied link?
    Tuesday, June 16, 2009 3:13 AM
  • Yes I downloaded it.  But when I go to the application in programs it doesn't do anything, unless I'm doing something wrong.  I guess I really don't know what it does.  There is also a problem with recreating the problem.  The problem comes and goes when it wants to.  I cannot recreate it.  Also when I followed your directions and typed what you gave me in CMD prompt and the PC told me that the commands were invalid.  Thats when I gave up.  I also typed the commands in Run and they did nothing.  Any advice?

Wednesday, June 17, 2009 10:43 PM
  • OK - you've downloaded it and installed it.  Then, click the start orb, type cmd.exe, and in the list right-click cmd.exe and choose Run as Administrator.  Acknowledge any UAC prompt and the CMD window will open.  Please indicate when you have gotten this far, or if you have any questions.
    Thursday, June 18, 2009 2:23 AM