Announcement: a new IDE for Small Basic! RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hello guys! I have been working since March 2013 to develop a better IDE for Small Basic. The new IDE, called SB IDE++ has nearly all the features of the default Small Basic IDE plus tons of new features such as dockable windows,  a GUI Designer, real-time debugger, extension manager, code folding, plugin support, and much more! It has a full IntelliSense/Autocomplete system that is compatible with the default SB libraries as well as all extensions.

Here are some screenshots of the IDE in action:

GUI Designer

Debugger and debug menu

Code Folding

Code Metrics

Autocomplete/IntelliSense

Program Importing and Exporting (compatible with default SB import/export)

Extension Manager

I will be releasing a beta version of the IDE soon. If you would like to be a beta tester, please email me at gungan 37 at gmail dot com and tell me your name and your forum username and why you would like to be a beta tester. I will accept the first five people and any I/O Extension donors!

Please mark any answers and "vote as helpful" any posts that help you!

Tuesday, July 23, 2013 5:24 PM
    Answerer

All replies

• This sounds so awesome! :D I hope it turns out well!!!

I am a 13 year old who loves coding, and is eager to learn more about it!

Wednesday, July 24, 2013 3:20 AM
  • Thanks for the reply! If you would like to join the beta tester team, please shoot me an email at gungan 37 at gmail dot com!

Wednesday, July 24, 2013 3:43 AM
    Answerer
  • There's obliviously more to programming than just programming. Testing: a critical step in development prior to release. This is a skill I would like to get some experience in.

Sounds like a great opportunity for beginners using SB to gain broader programming experience.

In brief, me and SB.

I've been learning programming for 7 months using SB. I'm up to 4.1 Playing with Shapes.

I take my time learning this (what's the rush) and try to find out, using each lesson, what the language can do. Revise by answering questions on the forum and consolidate my knowledge thus far by way of wiki articles. (an interesting and benevolent initiative/encouragement at the moment. Even if beginners write these articles on introductory topics (they've mastered) I think the writer, reader and wiki community benefit.)

SB IDE++ looks like a great IDE introducing beginners to some of the features found in more featured languages. It could only help add to the experience and diversity of the enthusiastic beginner.

I reckon the more you do and try with a consideration of time management can only assist in learning.

Love this forum because of threads like this. Thanks gungan37. I emailed you. Wow, all the best with this.

Thursday, July 25, 2013 8:07 AM
  • Thanks for the very well thought-out reply, Jibba Jabba. I have replied to your email. Welcome to the SB IDE++ beta tester team!

Thursday, July 25, 2013 5:24 PM
    Answerer
  • Looks very impressive, especially the debugging and code window with folding , auto-complete & intellisense etc - a lot of work - well done - I look forward to the results of the testing.
    Thursday, July 25, 2013 6:32 PM
  • Oh i would love to! but i would like to get a new computer before i could test. but if i change my mind, i would LOVE to. :D

Saturday, July 27, 2013 12:55 AM
  • OK, let me know 8Bit Pony!

Here is today's status update: I have spent the weekend preparing the IDE for beta. I have fixed most unhandled exceptions and worked out the bugs in the debugger (oh, the irony!) It should be ready later this week. 

Beta testers: When it is ready, I will email you.

Tuesday, July 30, 2013 8:49 PM
    Answerer
  • Beta testers: I have sent a copy of the beta by email!

Thursday, August 1, 2013 11:25 PM
    Answerer
  • Hi gungan37

Got your email. I'm pretty busy ATM. Will download and run on my backup lappy tonight or tomorrow. If it runs well (i'm sure it will) i'll install on my main lappy.

I'll post my fb here, and honour your requests set out in your email.

Thursday, August 1, 2013 11:38 PM
  • Status Update: testing has been going well. I have been working on improving the debugger and working out the last issues. Here is a preview of the improved debugger: http://tinypic.com/r/kd3a7a/5

(as you can see, breakpoints are not perfect yet as one line past the breakpoint can sometimes be executed)

Tuesday, August 6, 2013 6:11 AM
    Answerer
  • Hi gungan37,

it show fine. I will test it. my E-Mail-Adress is martmen@gmx.de.

Best Regards Martin

Tuesday, August 6, 2013 3:53 PM
  • OK, thanks martmen! I will be sending you an email soon.

Tuesday, August 6, 2013 5:33 PM
    Answerer
  • Gungan37~

I am probably too late, but I sent you an email. 

Sounds like a neat piece of software :)

-JOman Mied

I can write 1000 lines of code in roughly 10 seconds. Here's how:
    i = 1

For i = 1 to 1000
    TextWindow.WriteLine(i+ ". Code")
    Program.Delay(10)
    EndFor

Make Sense?

Wednesday, August 7, 2013 8:39 PM
  • No, not too late! I will send you an email shortly (you will be tester 4 out of 5 slots--- I have reduced the number of slots to 5 because 10 people would be too many to manage.)

Welcome to the tester team!

Wednesday, August 7, 2013 9:54 PM
    Answerer
  • Hello

I'm up and running, love it, now I know what code folding is. Thanks ++ . It works well and i'm using it and it's giving me a nice taste of what a more featured ide is like. Quite the educational product I reckon.

I aim to use it without abandoning SB 1.0. and i'll should able to do 1 challenge a month with it for the purpose of testing. It's good trying out a different ide. A 1st for me.

• Edited by Jibba j Wednesday, August 7, 2013 10:51 PM sdddd
    Wednesday, August 7, 2013 10:38 PM
  • This sounds nice.

I would like to test it, but I have no time.

Sorry.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen Timo Greetings Timo

Saturday, August 10, 2013 9:26 AM
  • That's OK, Timo! I understand. It will be available soon enough for everyone with a lot of issues fixed.

Status Update: I have been working on fine tuning the debugger and the IOForm Designer, fixing small issues, and playing with some some UI experiments. 

Sunday, August 11, 2013 3:47 AM
    Answerer
  • So, when do you think you can release it full? :3

Friday, August 16, 2013 2:14 AM
  • Sorry for the late reply, 8Bit Pony: I have been out of town.

I intend to release it this fall. I want to make sure things are as good as possible before release. I have never done this before (the I/O extension was kind of different since it is not a standalone application) and really want to do it right.

Monday, August 19, 2013 7:48 PM
    Answerer
  • that's All right. Just take your time, and release it when you're happy with it. :3

Monday, August 19, 2013 10:44 PM
  • Gungan,

I'm reviving a 3-year old thread. But we got some requests for a version of SB IDE ++ that's updated with Small Basic 1.2.

I hope you're doing well Gungan. Are you still coding?

Thanks!

Ed Price, Azure Development Customer Program Manager (Blog, Small Basic, Wiki Ninjas, Wiki)

Answer an interesting question? Create a wiki article about it!

Tuesday, November 1, 2016 3:55 AM
  • I'm doing well! A lot has happened in my life since I was on here last.

I started college in August 2015 as a Computer Science major.  I've been busy, but I've had a good time and done pretty well. I got a job as a full stack .NET developer for the state government in September 2015, so I've learned a lot since then. I'm starting on my Masters in Computer Science in January 2017.

When I get the time, I'd like to get back to maintaining SB IDE++ and the I/O Extension. I'd really like to get SB IDE++ running with SB 1.2 so people can use it to its full potential.

I assume that the I/O Extension needs to be updated too, right?

Tuesday, November 1, 2016 4:43 AM
    Answerer
  • I'm doing well! A lot has happened in my life since I was on here last.

I started college in August 2015 as a Computer Science major.  I've been busy, but I've had a good time and done pretty well. I got a job as a full stack .NET developer for the state government in September 2015, so I've learned a lot since then. I'm starting on my Masters in Computer Science in January 2017.

When I get the time, I'd like to get back to maintaining SB IDE++ and the I/O Extension. I'd really like to get SB IDE++ running with SB 1.2 so people can use it to its full potential.

I assume that the I/O Extension needs to be updated too, right?

You're already working as a programmer, and you're already moving onto your Masters in CS! Awesome! Way to go!

Yes for the I/O extension. LitDev has a sweet Extension Manager now, which we can plug this into!

Ed Price, Azure Development Customer Program Manager (Blog, Small Basic, Wiki Ninjas, Wiki)

Answer an interesting question? Create a wiki article about it!

Tuesday, November 1, 2016 7:29 AM