Can't install Secure Boot Kits Policy Applicator on Surface RT Tablet : No F3 key available, touch cover unresponsive

Question

• I'm trying to install the Windows App Certification on a Surface RT. I need to run the Windows App Certification Kit before submitting to the app store (I had a rejection that the Certification Kit failed on Windows RT, but it pass on Windows ).

After the installation, there is reboot and a confirmation to press F3 to accept the Secure Boot Kits Policy Applicator.

I quote:"

This tool install the Secure Boot Kits Policy that will allow you to run applications and drivers included in the Windows kits for the purpose of verification of a Windows RT device...

Press F3 or select Accept and Install to install the Policy on this Device.

However, the Surface RT Cover lacks F3 key, and direction keys are unresponsive. Only the Windows key is active, but it declines the installation of the secure boot.

My questions is what's going on ? How to enable the secure book policy on a Surface RT which requires a keyboard. Did tried with a USB keyboard as well : Didn't work.

• Edited by execom_rt Friday, October 25, 2013 10:53 PM
    Friday, October 25, 2013 10:36 PM

Answers

All replies

• Please see the see ARM Kit Policy Installation documentation for information on how to install this without a keyboard:

If you don’t have a keyboard, use the Volume Down button to select Accept and install and press the Windows button.
    --Rob
    Friday, October 25, 2013 11:55 PM
  • OK it works. However right it is impossible to submit anything on Windows Store with ARM binaries. My app did pass the Windows App Certification test on a Surface RT (original model), every tests goes pass, however the submission team tell me that it doesn't pass the test (without explaining which test has failed).

Do I have to remove the ARM target ?

Saturday, October 26, 2013 6:19 AM
  • It is definitely possible to submit Windows Store apps with ARM binaries. There is likely a problem with your specific app. You should have gotten a report with details about the failure. If not then you will likely need to open a support case to get more information, but I'd check with the folks on the Publishing forum.

If you did get a report but are having trouble interpreting it then you can open a new thread specifically on that subject.

--Rob

Monday, October 28, 2013 8:33 PM
  • Currently working with Microsoft. It appears that the Trim function, which is required in Windows 8.1 takes too much time and fails the performance test. It's Catch 22 situation. Right now, I have to drop support for Arm, until Microsoft resolve the problems. 
    Thursday, October 31, 2013 5:26 PM