none
In VS 2015 update 3, Intellisense pauses for 3-5 seconds after pressing space bar

Question

• From the editor, once you press space bar, there is anywhere from a 3-5 second pause as Intellisense tries to invoke. This basically makes the product unusable. Turning off (unchecking) Auto List Member (Tools->Options->Text Editor->Basic->General) gets rid of the freezing/pausing but loses the Intellisense help.

Does anyone know of a way to fix this. Two other developers' Intellisense works most of the time, but they experience the same thing on certain classes, but for my computer it is all classes in all projects.

This is on Win 7 machine. A clean install of VS 2015 update 3 on a Win 10 box does not exhibit this problem.

Howard Reagor

Thursday, July 21, 2016 5:37 PM

Answers

• Hi Howard Reagor,

>>Two other developers' Intellisense works most of the time, but they experience the same thing on certain classes, but for my computer it is all classes in all projects.

As you said that other developers also meet the similar issue even if using certain classes, could you share me a simple sample? I will test it in my side using the same Environment as yours.

But as you said that all classes have the same issue in your side, if so, we would think about the specific VS Environment.

If possible, please reset your VS settings, and then create a new project, check the Intellisense again.

TOOLS->Import and Export Settings Wizard->Reset all settings->select “No, just reset settings, overwriting my current settings”->Choose a Default Collection of settings.

Please also test it in safe mode, at least, we could know that whether it is related to the add-ins or extension tools.

Devenv.exe/SafeMode

Please also install the KB3165756 for your update 3:

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/mt752379.aspx

Issue 4:

Visual Studio may crash and cause a stack overflow exception when it generates IntelliSense for some C# files that contain nested generic types.

It seems that this known issue has been resolved.

Best Regards,

Jack

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Monday, July 25, 2016 6:42 AM

All replies

• You can try the VS forum too.

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/vstudio/en-us/home?forum=visualstudiogeneral

Thursday, July 21, 2016 6:49 PM
  • Hi Howard Reagor,

>>Two other developers' Intellisense works most of the time, but they experience the same thing on certain classes, but for my computer it is all classes in all projects.

As you said that other developers also meet the similar issue even if using certain classes, could you share me a simple sample? I will test it in my side using the same Environment as yours.

But as you said that all classes have the same issue in your side, if so, we would think about the specific VS Environment.

If possible, please reset your VS settings, and then create a new project, check the Intellisense again.

TOOLS->Import and Export Settings Wizard->Reset all settings->select “No, just reset settings, overwriting my current settings”->Choose a Default Collection of settings.

Please also test it in safe mode, at least, we could know that whether it is related to the add-ins or extension tools.

Devenv.exe/SafeMode

Please also install the KB3165756 for your update 3:

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/mt752379.aspx

Issue 4:

Visual Studio may crash and cause a stack overflow exception when it generates IntelliSense for some C# files that contain nested generic types.

It seems that this known issue has been resolved.

Best Regards,

Jack

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Monday, July 25, 2016 6:42 AM