none
How to find the picture embedded in a docx file RRS feed

• Question

• I try to decode the docx file with VIsual C++ program.

When try to decode the document.xml file after unzip the .docx file, if the document contains an embedded image, then I will find

<w:pict> and </w:pict> tags,I think they are for embedded pictures. And I also find there is an embedded image file under .\media subdirectory after I unzip the .docx file. However, I cannot find the path or file name of the image in the <w:pict> tag.

So in such a case, how to find the image file based on the info in <w:pict> tag pairs?

Thanks

Thursday, June 6, 2013 4:33 PM

Answers

• Hi chcw,

I'm not sure if you are aware of the ISO 29500-4 specification which contains information about the w:pict VML element in section 14.2.2.2.  This will tell you about the element and it's contents.  You will typically see this element contain one or more of the elements in sections 19.1 or 19.2, including the image and/or imagedata elements.  These will typically have src url or ole attributes depending on how the image is included in the document. 

You can download the ISO 29500-4 (as well as 29500-1 which contains wordprocessingML) from:

http://standards.iso.org/ittf/PubliclyAvailableStandards/index.html

I hope this helps.

Best regards,
    Tom Jebo
    Escalation Engineer
    Microsoft Open Specifications

Friday, June 7, 2013 3:33 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Thank you for raising this question. One of our engineers will investigate this and follow-up with you soon.

Regards,

Edgar

Thursday, June 6, 2013 7:55 PM
  • Hi chcw,

I'm not sure if you are aware of the ISO 29500-4 specification which contains information about the w:pict VML element in section 14.2.2.2.  This will tell you about the element and it's contents.  You will typically see this element contain one or more of the elements in sections 19.1 or 19.2, including the image and/or imagedata elements.  These will typically have src url or ole attributes depending on how the image is included in the document. 

You can download the ISO 29500-4 (as well as 29500-1 which contains wordprocessingML) from:

http://standards.iso.org/ittf/PubliclyAvailableStandards/index.html

I hope this helps.

Best regards,
    Tom Jebo
    Escalation Engineer
    Microsoft Open Specifications

Friday, June 7, 2013 3:33 AM