SQl 2005 Express - Linked Server - Access ADP - MSDASQL error RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everyone,

I'v finally managed to get a New Linked Server setup on SQL 2005 Express SP2 using the 'Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers' MSDASQL. I have a Database setup on the SQL 2005 Express Database Engine which contains a query that OPENQUERY's the linked server. The query executes OK.

The problems in when I link an Access 2003 SP2 .adp file to the SQL 2005 Database Engine database. All objects, including the query containing the OPENQUERY (to the linked server) appear. However, when I run the same query within Access I get the following error:

"The OLE DB Provider for Linked Server "name" reported an error."

"The Provider reported an unexpected catastropic failure"

So the query works running within SQL 2005 Management Studio, but the same query doesn't work running within an Access 2003 SP2 ADP. I've closed down SQL 2005 Management Studio, but the same error is displayed.

I didn't know if the problem lies in Access 2003 SP2 or SQL 2005 Express SP2.

Any takers?? (I haven't logged this Thread in an Access forum)

Any assistance is appreciated.

Alan

Tuesday, January 8, 2008 10:54 AM

Answers

• Well I tried again today and the query worked through the ADP. The only difference once my lptop went to Standby last night and back on again today - the power of the reset!!

Alan

Wednesday, January 9, 2008 8:56 AM