none
Kinect sdk browser fails to start after my laptop restarts RRS feed

• Question

• I am using Windows 8, Kinect v2, VS 2013, I have successfully installed Kinect SDK's 2.0

http://www.microsoft.com/en-in/download/details.aspx?id=44561 , and have successfully ran all the samples provided in sdk browser. [works like a charm]

Problem is when I restart my laptop , sdk browser is there but it couldn't start neither gives any error. and then when I try to reinstall sdk (after uninstalling sdk 2.0) .The same kinect sdk fails to reinstall again (it too launches but shows the status of processing but nothing happens, it is stucked there). I don't know what to do for this strange behavior (seems like the programs have non determinant behavior in my case)

Please help me.

Tuesday, June 9, 2015 4:04 AM

All replies

• Hello Gauravm,

Do the other Kinect tools on the Windows 8 start page launch (try Kinect Studio or Visual Gesture Builder)?

When you try running the SDK browser, does it appear in Task Manager?

You mentioned that the SDK failed to reinstall for you. It could be that your machine has some missing executables and/or broken links.

Verify that the SDK Browser executable is still present on your system. By default, it is installed under C:\program files\Microsoft SDKs\Kinect\v2.0_1409\Tools\SDKBrowser. Double-click on the SDKBrowser application to launch it (if it does not exist, skip to the next paragraph). If it launches correctly, then the shortcut on your start page might be broken. To fix it, right-click on the SDK Browser icon in the start menu, and then select 'Open File Location'. You should see a shortcut for 'SDK Browser v2.0'. Right-click on the shortcut and select 'Properties', then set the target to the location of the executable on your machine ("C:\Program Files\Microsoft SDKs\Kinect\v2.0_1409\Tools\SDKBrowser\SDKBrowser.exe").

If the executable did not appear in the folder above, then your install was not complete. Try uninstalling 'Kinect for Windows SDK v2' by going to Control Panel > Programs > Uninstall a program. After the uninstall is complete, restart your machine and then check that the SDK Browser no longer appears in the Windows 8 start screen. Reinstall the SDK (http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=44561). The Setup process will want to run elevated, so be sure to allow it to do so when prompted. When you see the 'Setup Complete' message, press 'Close' and then restart your machine (just to be sure!). Finally, try to launch the SDK Browser from the Start menu.

I hope this helps to resolve your issue,

~Angela

Wednesday, June 10, 2015 2:34 AM