none
Vs and Office version choice for vsto add-ins RRS feed

• Question

• hi,

i am working on app-level excel add-in. i have vs 2013 and office 2013. and i selected "Excel 2013 add-in" in the list. i have some questions at this point.

1- should i choose Excel 2010 add-in to widen my target users. when i choose 2010, will 2013-users(and/or upper version of office) be able to run it.

2- should i install 2007 version of office and 0ffice-2007-supporting version of VS, in order to even widen my target users, as VS2013 doesnt contain Excel-2007 option. or is there any other way like downloading a package which includes 2007 dll's etc

thanks

Dig your well before you are thirsty

Tuesday, September 22, 2015 9:20 PM

Answers

• Hi ExcellinEfendisi,

>> should i choose Excel 2010 add-in to widen my target users. when i choose 2010, will 2013-users(and/or upper version of office) be able to run it.

You do not need to choose Excel 2010 add-in. Your vsto add-ins will work without errors in the 2007 Microsoft Office system, Office 2010 and Office 2013 if you develop Excel 2013 add-in without using features that are not supported in other version. If you choose 2010 and you do not install Office 2010 in your developer PC, you will get error like “You cannot debug or run this project, because the required version of the Microsoft Office application is not installed”.

>> should i install 2007 version of office and 0ffice-2007-supporting version of VS, in order to even widen my target users, as VS2013 doesnt contain Excel-2007 option. or is there any other way like downloading a package which includes 2007 dll's

You do not need, your Excel 2013 add-in will work most situation under Office 2007 and Office 2013 if you do not use the feature which is not supported in other versions of Office.

Best Regards,

Edward

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

• Marked as answer by ExcelinEfendisi Wednesday, September 23, 2015 1:16 PM
    Wednesday, September 23, 2015 2:12 AM
  • Hello,

Esentially, you may use any VS version for developing an Office version. And if you use VS2013 you may run your add-in in older Office versions. You just need to use only property and methods available in older versions. So, I'd suggest referencing the lowest interop libraries to prevent using the absent methods and properties or check the Office version at runtime to make sure you can use them. Or you will get an exception at runtime.

Take a look at the Running Solutions in Different Versions of Microsoft Office article for more information. 

Wednesday, September 23, 2015 12:36 PM

All replies

• Hi ExcellinEfendisi,

>> should i choose Excel 2010 add-in to widen my target users. when i choose 2010, will 2013-users(and/or upper version of office) be able to run it.

You do not need to choose Excel 2010 add-in. Your vsto add-ins will work without errors in the 2007 Microsoft Office system, Office 2010 and Office 2013 if you develop Excel 2013 add-in without using features that are not supported in other version. If you choose 2010 and you do not install Office 2010 in your developer PC, you will get error like “You cannot debug or run this project, because the required version of the Microsoft Office application is not installed”.

>> should i install 2007 version of office and 0ffice-2007-supporting version of VS, in order to even widen my target users, as VS2013 doesnt contain Excel-2007 option. or is there any other way like downloading a package which includes 2007 dll's

You do not need, your Excel 2013 add-in will work most situation under Office 2007 and Office 2013 if you do not use the feature which is not supported in other versions of Office.

Best Regards,

Edward

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Wednesday, September 23, 2015 2:12 AM
  • Hello,

Esentially, you may use any VS version for developing an Office version. And if you use VS2013 you may run your add-in in older Office versions. You just need to use only property and methods available in older versions. So, I'd suggest referencing the lowest interop libraries to prevent using the absent methods and properties or check the Office version at runtime to make sure you can use them. Or you will get an exception at runtime.

Take a look at the Running Solutions in Different Versions of Microsoft Office article for more information. 

Wednesday, September 23, 2015 12:36 PM
  • thanks for the answer

Wednesday, September 23, 2015 1:31 PM
  • thanks for the answer

Wednesday, September 23, 2015 1:32 PM