VS2015 Community: Can't create VB project. RRS feed

• Question

• I can't create a universal app/windows form in VB. For some strange reason it says it can't read open the file as .vbproj is unknown. C# didn't install so I can't tell.

It's worth noting this install of VS on Windows 10(final release) is a reinstall. I had to use IObit uninstaller to get rid of the old VS files as much as possible.

Need help.

David98xp

Saturday, September 19, 2015 9:28 AM

Answers

• Hi David98xp,

Thank you for posting in MSDN forum.

First, for your issue, please go to Help -> About Microsoft Visual Studio, to check whether visual basic 2015 is listed.

If it doesn't list, I think it is related to the installation of visual studio. Please go to Control Panel to repair your visual studio.

If it is listed, to make sure whether it is related to your templates, I suggest you could take the following steps to reset the templates:

1) Open Windows Explorer, and navigate to <Visual Studio Installation Path>\Common7\IDE (by default is C:\Program Files or Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0\Common7\IDE);
    2) Delete the ItemTemplatesCache, ProjectTemplatesCache folder;
    3) Open Visual Studio Command Prompt under Start menu -> All Programs -> Microsoft Visual Studio -> Visual Studio Tools (run it with administrative privilege);
    4) Run the devenv /InstallVSTemplates switch;
    5) Run the devenv /Setup switch;

If the above doesn't help, to make sure whether it is related to the settings, please try the following commands to see if it helps:

a.devenv.exe /resetsettings, it will restore Visual Studio default settings. Optionally resets the settings to the specified .vssettings file.

b.devenv.exe /resetuserdata, it will take a couple of minutes to run as Visual Studio cleans up and sets itself back to its original state. You may open Task Manager at this point to check whether the devenv.exe process is still running. After it has completed running, you can restart Visual Studio.

Best Regards,

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Click HERE to participate the survey.

• Proposed as answer by Jiayi Li Tuesday, September 29, 2015 9:39 AM
    • Marked as answer by Jiayi Li Tuesday, September 29, 2015 9:39 AM
    Monday, September 21, 2015 6:13 AM

All replies

• Hi David98xp,

Thank you for posting in MSDN forum.

First, for your issue, please go to Help -> About Microsoft Visual Studio, to check whether visual basic 2015 is listed.

If it doesn't list, I think it is related to the installation of visual studio. Please go to Control Panel to repair your visual studio.

If it is listed, to make sure whether it is related to your templates, I suggest you could take the following steps to reset the templates:

1) Open Windows Explorer, and navigate to <Visual Studio Installation Path>\Common7\IDE (by default is C:\Program Files or Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0\Common7\IDE);
    2) Delete the ItemTemplatesCache, ProjectTemplatesCache folder;
    3) Open Visual Studio Command Prompt under Start menu -> All Programs -> Microsoft Visual Studio -> Visual Studio Tools (run it with administrative privilege);
    4) Run the devenv /InstallVSTemplates switch;
    5) Run the devenv /Setup switch;

If the above doesn't help, to make sure whether it is related to the settings, please try the following commands to see if it helps:

a.devenv.exe /resetsettings, it will restore Visual Studio default settings. Optionally resets the settings to the specified .vssettings file.

b.devenv.exe /resetuserdata, it will take a couple of minutes to run as Visual Studio cleans up and sets itself back to its original state. You may open Task Manager at this point to check whether the devenv.exe process is still running. After it has completed running, you can restart Visual Studio.

Best Regards,

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Click HERE to participate the survey.

• Proposed as answer by Jiayi Li Tuesday, September 29, 2015 9:39 AM
    • Marked as answer by Jiayi Li Tuesday, September 29, 2015 9:39 AM
    Monday, September 21, 2015 6:13 AM
  • Ok I'm trying to reset the user data. Then I will try and uninstall it and all the components. I also wanna clear out the registry and start clean slate. The very first time it was working but I accidently broke it modifying a file. I reinstalled it but it doesn't work.

Any other tips for helping the computer forget VS was ever there before/removing any traces?

Thanks!

David98xp

Monday, September 28, 2015 3:41 AM