none
Remote DNS Servers RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Guys,

I want to use remote "extracted" dns servers for domains. Is it possible to configure this, and what is the best practice in this regard.

Reasoning:

I don;t want to bind my domain registration details at the domain registrar to a DNS server hosted at the same location as my web server. I want to use an "extracted" DNS server, so that I can change its settings if I need to point all my domains to a failover or different server.

Is this at all possible, and can you make some recommendations for achieving this? I don;t have the remote / extracted DNS server completely thought out.. maybe a small linux VM somewhere...?

Thanks in advance.

Saturday, August 11, 2012 2:09 PM

Answers

• Hello,

This would be possible by using Primary / Secondary DNS services.

If you use Linux then Bind should be properly configured for this (same as Primary DNS).

Please remind you that you will need atleast 1 DNS server that IS connected with a WSP Server module. (so WSP can configure the domain on 1 DNS server)

And that you configure another DNS server to Replicate off that DNS server (without the use of WSP).

In other words.. a Primary / Secondary DNS configuration  where the Primary would be the one that is connected with WSP (that requires IIS + ASP.NET + WSP Server Module installed on that Primary DNS Server).

Regards,

Marco

Key4ce - IT professionals: www.key4ce.eu

Sunday, August 12, 2012 9:46 AM