New to Windows Mobile Development and needs advice RRS feed

• Question

• Hi to the experts,

I am new to Windows Mobile Development.

I am a C++ developer and would like to seek some guidelines with this journey of mine to Windows Mobile Development.

My target applications will be more on device management, maybe this would mean dealing more on API's. I hope the experts can help me with this one the simplest way. My questions are categorized and they are as follows:

/*----------Development Tools----------*/

1. What Visual Studio version is for Windows Mobile Development? Visual Studio 2010 seems to be the latest release, would this be the perfect development tool for current windows mobile phone and windows 7 phones?

/*----------Books and References------*/

2. Which book would be good to start?

3. Other sources?

/*--------Deployment / Licensing------*/

4. When we deploy our applications, would there be any other payment other than buying visual studio? I am not familiar how this works in

windows mobile I hope someone can give me a little overview about it.

5. I have developed applications for Symbian, does windows mobile have also signing of applications and request for certificates in order for applications to run?

And if there are things that you want to add, please do so, I might have missed something that would be important for windows mobile development.

Thank you in advance.

cassey_lane
    Monday, April 19, 2010 1:27 PM

Answers

• I would suggest Programming Windows Embedded CE 6.0 Developer Reference, 4th Edition. Windows Mobile is based off of CE 5 but most of the information in this book will be applicable to Windows Mobile 6.
    Joel Ivory Johnson | http://www.j2i.net | Device Application Development MVP
    It takes all the running you can do to stay in one place.If you want to get somewhere else,you must try to run at least twice as fast as that.
    Tuesday, April 20, 2010 11:56 AM
  • /*----------Development Tools----------*/

1. What Visual Studio version is for Windows Mobile Development? Visual Studio 2010 seems to be the latest release, would this be the perfect development tool for current windows mobile phone and windows 7 phones?

You need to use Visual Studio 2008 Professional for Windows Mobile 6.x development. For Windows Phone 7 you can use Visual Studio 2010 Express or better. Unfortunately there's no one version that will let you target both devices.

3. Other sources?

I would suggest the "Windows Mobile Developer's Handbook" (Published through Microsoft Press, Peter Foot is one of the authors) for Windows Mobile. This assumes you already know the C# language. For Windows Phone 7 while there are sample chapters from book in development there are no complete books out yet. If you plan to make games I would suggest just finding a book on XNA. Otherwise find a book on Silverlight 3.

4. When we deploy our applications, would there be any other payment other than buying visual studio? I am not familiar how this works in

For Windows Mobile you don't have to pay anything additional to deploy an application yourself. For Windows Phone the only official method of distribution will be the Windows Marketplace for Mobile and that has a registration cost of 99 USD per year. Additional fees may be necessary for certification. The exact details of WP7 distribution have not yet been made public.
    does windows mobile have also signing of applications and request for certificates in order for applications to run?
    For Windows Mobile a device's settings may be such that it will only run signed executables. But that setting can also be disabled. If you distributed for Windows Mobile 6.5 through the Windows Marketplace for Mobile your application will be signed upon passing certification.
    It takes all the running you can do to stay in one place.If you want to get somewhere else,you must try to run at least twice as fast as that.
    • Marked as answer by dackyD Tuesday, April 20, 2010 7:56 AM
    Monday, April 19, 2010 2:55 PM
  • Hi,

In addition to Joel's reply, you may find the following useful :-

http://smartmobidevice.blogspot.com/search/label/Resources

Hope this helps.

Paul Diston

http://www.smartmobiledevice.co.uk/
    Monday, April 19, 2010 4:52 PM

All replies

• /*----------Development Tools----------*/

You need to use Visual Studio 2008 Professional for Windows Mobile 6.x development. For Windows Phone 7 you can use Visual Studio 2010 Express or better. Unfortunately there's no one version that will let you target both devices.

3. Other sources?

I would suggest the "Windows Mobile Developer's Handbook" (Published through Microsoft Press, Peter Foot is one of the authors) for Windows Mobile. This assumes you already know the C# language. For Windows Phone 7 while there are sample chapters from book in development there are no complete books out yet. If you plan to make games I would suggest just finding a book on XNA. Otherwise find a book on Silverlight 3.

For Windows Mobile you don't have to pay anything additional to deploy an application yourself. For Windows Phone the only official method of distribution will be the Windows Marketplace for Mobile and that has a registration cost of 99 USD per year. Additional fees may be necessary for certification. The exact details of WP7 distribution have not yet been made public.
    does windows mobile have also signing of applications and request for certificates in order for applications to run?
    For Windows Mobile a device's settings may be such that it will only run signed executables. But that setting can also be disabled. If you distributed for Windows Mobile 6.5 through the Windows Marketplace for Mobile your application will be signed upon passing certification.
    Monday, April 19, 2010 2:55 PM
  • Hi,

In addition to Joel's reply, you may find the following useful :-

http://smartmobidevice.blogspot.com/search/label/Resources

Hope this helps.

Paul Diston

http://www.smartmobiledevice.co.uk/
    Monday, April 19, 2010 4:52 PM
  • Thank you experts Joel and Paul for your reply.

@Joel Ivory Johnson:Additional and Followup questions

1. The book you recommended is in C#, this means I have to invest time for C#, Is there any book you can recommend in C++? (I will be developing device management apps like setting up emails, setting calendar events, adding contacts and so on...)

2. Forgot to mention about debugging tools, Is Visual Studio equiped with debugging tools? Like for example can we debug in real time while the application is running in the mobile device?

And if there are other experts there who wants to share their expertise, kindly add your stuff on this thread.

Thanks.

cassey_lane
    Tuesday, April 20, 2010 8:11 AM
  • I would suggest Programming Windows Embedded CE 6.0 Developer Reference, 4th Edition. Windows Mobile is based off of CE 5 but most of the information in this book will be applicable to Windows Mobile 6.
    Tuesday, April 20, 2010 11:56 AM