Is there any limitation in UI Map ?? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I'm working with the coded  UI Tester for automate a ERP System. In order to complete my work flow I have to go through different different  windows in many times. So I use the recorder and record my actions while generating code for each window.

But the problem is each time when I tried to record  more than 4 generated methods I could not go over there . It even stop identifying record actions and 'tester is down'.  When I generate code for 3-4 methods UI Map pass 1500-2000 lines . I feel this occurs because there is a limitation in the UIMap.Designer.cs.

I'm currently using 1.5 GB RAM  and Pentium 4 processor !!! Is this happens because of a lack of Hardware ??   
    Monday, November 30, 2009 5:57 AM

Answers

• You don't need a dual proc to run coded UI tests. a typical config of 1GB XP/Win7 or a 2GB Vista/W2K8/3 will also work. anyway, if you are now able to get around the first problem, that's good - you might have been running other stuff on your machine that was eating cycles

The algo to identify controls in CUIT is complex. It is primarily dependent on the search properties of the control and technology: for eg: title of a window, id for a textbox etc. You shouldn't be seeing changes across machines in this regard.

- Anu

http://blogs.msdn.com/anutthara
    Friday, December 18, 2009 7:17 AM

All replies

• Hi,

I am not sure I fully understood. When you generate the 4th Recorded method what is the exception that comes. Is there any exception or it doesnt generate any code? What if you close the Codeduitestbuilder and open it again to generate 4th method? Does this works?

Thanks
    Siddhartha
    Monday, November 30, 2009 4:20 PM
  • Hi

Sorry for the delay !!!! I'm not well enough passed  few days days...:-)

Actually what happen is it doesn't show any error message or exception... but it doesn't generate any  code there after as you guess..
    I tried what you said few times before but it gave me nothing...  

But if I close coded UI test Builder and generate code for a new CodedTest.cs  sometimes it worked.

thanks
    Thursday, December 3, 2009 4:22 AM
  • Azumi - we are still having trouble understanding your exact problem. Could you please post a video file of this to my mail id? anutthar at microsoft.com
    Wednesday, December 16, 2009 12:06 PM
  • Hi Anuththara ,

Thanks for your kind respond !!!

I think this issue occurred because  of lack of processing power . each and every time when I tried to do above steps my machines CPU usage hit 100% !!!

So we decide to upgrade my machine to a Core 2 Duo and now I'm getting better result from it.
    Actually this problem is now resolved.

Other than that I want to know about the algorithm used by CUIT for identify UI controls. Because when I used previous machine I have to do some workarounds with the code as it enabled to figure out some windows in our applications .But now it is quite ok...

Is this algorithm depend on time outs or something like that ???
    Could you please explain me about that ??

thanks

Friday, December 18, 2009 6:02 AM
  • You don't need a dual proc to run coded UI tests. a typical config of 1GB XP/Win7 or a 2GB Vista/W2K8/3 will also work. anyway, if you are now able to get around the first problem, that's good - you might have been running other stuff on your machine that was eating cycles

The algo to identify controls in CUIT is complex. It is primarily dependent on the search properties of the control and technology: for eg: title of a window, id for a textbox etc. You shouldn't be seeing changes across machines in this regard.

- Anu

Friday, December 18, 2009 7:17 AM