SQL 2005 Active/Active Cluster RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have to install a SQL 2005 Active / active cluster with 7 instances each per node. I know that term active-active means a multi-instance active-passive cluster *BUT* i was seeing one of the technet webcasts by Brian Knight where he installs a cluster instance and mentions that if it has to be active-active the setup for the next instance must be run on the passive node. for example if INST01 is installed on NODE1 and NODE2 acting as passive, then setup for INST02 must be executed from NODE2.

My question is that why is that so ?

Best Regards,
    Friday, December 18, 2009 11:36 AM

Answers

• Hello,

In a clustered environment, all resources are owned by only one single machine at a time. In the case of SQL Server, it needs it's own IP, Disk, etc. resources. In a two node cluster as is the example you gave above, active/active means that each node is actively processing something, or actively playing a role in the system as opposed to sitting there waiting for something to fail (passive).

When you run the setup from a single node, that node is the owner of the resources needed for sql server. You could very well install both from NODE1 and fail over the second instance and have it run on NODE2 (this is determined when you set possible owners), however I would not do it this way. When I install clustered instances I always install it from what I want will be the current owner and main server that it will run on.

Hope this helps,
    Sean

• Marked as answer by deepakuniyal Tuesday, December 22, 2009 3:39 PM
    Friday, December 18, 2009 12:11 PM
    Answerer

All replies

• Hello,

In a clustered environment, all resources are owned by only one single machine at a time. In the case of SQL Server, it needs it's own IP, Disk, etc. resources. In a two node cluster as is the example you gave above, active/active means that each node is actively processing something, or actively playing a role in the system as opposed to sitting there waiting for something to fail (passive).

When you run the setup from a single node, that node is the owner of the resources needed for sql server. You could very well install both from NODE1 and fail over the second instance and have it run on NODE2 (this is determined when you set possible owners), however I would not do it this way. When I install clustered instances I always install it from what I want will be the current owner and main server that it will run on.

Hope this helps,
    Sean

• Marked as answer by deepakuniyal Tuesday, December 22, 2009 3:39 PM
    Friday, December 18, 2009 12:11 PM
    Answerer
  • Many thanks Sean, this really helps. Thanks for eliminating my confusion.
    Tuesday, December 22, 2009 3:39 PM