VS2010 Project is always out of date when start debugging - RRS feed

• Question

• In a similar story to many others posted VS2010 has started prompting me that projects are not up to date when trying to run the project even when the whole solution has been cleaned and rebuilt. I have configured the trace listeners as described in other posts and the output is below. Clearly my project does not have these files set up as build outputs.

Any help would be very appreciated.

Best regards,

Jon

devenv.exe Information: 0 : Project 'C:\c\VALUES\VALUES 2008.vcxproj' not up to date because 4 build outputs were missing.

devenv.exe Information: 0 : up to date is missing: 'C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\AEXAM\AEX5308.TMP'

devenv.exe Information: 0 : up to date is missing: 'C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\AEXAM\AEX530C.TMP'

devenv.exe Information: 0 : up to date is missing: 'C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\AEXAM\AEX530F.TMP'

devenv.exe Information: 0 : up to date is missing: 'C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\AEXAM\AEX5318.TMP'

Thursday, March 3, 2011 11:41 AM

Answers

•  

Hi JonPom

I have some tips about this issue, please check these.

1.run dir/od /s /p in your project's directly, check if there was any file dated in the future, or your system date was in the past.

2.When you hit F5, you may run into the situation that Up to check dialog always coming up even after a fresh rebuild. You can refer to this blog:

Enable C++ project system logging

to troubleshoot the problem. Most likely, the issue is caused by the fact that some files are listed as part of the project files but are missing on the disk. Because these files are part of the project files, the new up to date check mechanism will check for their existence. If the files are not on the disk, the up to date check will assume that a new build is needed. The fix is to remove the files from the project files if they are not on the disk.

3.Create a new project to see if it is a general behavior for your Visual Studio. To reinstall the Visual Studio may solve this issue.

Best regards,

Jesse

Jesse Jiang [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

• Marked as answer by Jesse Jiang Tuesday, March 15, 2011 3:48 AM
    Monday, March 7, 2011 7:52 AM

All replies

• As far as i experienced in vs 2010 to avoid these kinds of issues the best approach is to use different intermediate folder for each configuration and Removal of references and framework from all projects. i may be wrong but it is my wild guess which might help others

Fahd Anwar
    Thursday, March 3, 2011 12:53 PM
  • I used to have the same problem in Visual Studio...

What I did first was to clean my solution, it did not help. So, I thought it was a problem of the IDE. so I re-installed /repair Visual Studio and made a back up of all my projects and it worked.

Saturday, March 5, 2011 1:02 PM
  •  

Hi JonPom

I have some tips about this issue, please check these.

1.run dir/od /s /p in your project's directly, check if there was any file dated in the future, or your system date was in the past.

2.When you hit F5, you may run into the situation that Up to check dialog always coming up even after a fresh rebuild. You can refer to this blog:

Enable C++ project system logging

to troubleshoot the problem. Most likely, the issue is caused by the fact that some files are listed as part of the project files but are missing on the disk. Because these files are part of the project files, the new up to date check mechanism will check for their existence. If the files are not on the disk, the up to date check will assume that a new build is needed. The fix is to remove the files from the project files if they are not on the disk.

3.Create a new project to see if it is a general behavior for your Visual Studio. To reinstall the Visual Studio may solve this issue.

Best regards,

Jesse

Jesse Jiang [MSFT]
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

• Marked as answer by Jesse Jiang Tuesday, March 15, 2011 3:48 AM
    Monday, March 7, 2011 7:52 AM
  •  

Would you mind letting me know the result of the suggestions? If you need further assistance, feel free to let me know. I will be more than happy to be of assistance.

Best regards,

Jesse

Jesse Jiang [MSFT]

Thursday, March 10, 2011 2:33 AM