none
setup asking for DVD driver RRS feed

• Question

• Tools: CTP2

Well, this is my first image.  I built an image in ICE, imported my .pmq, resolved dependencies, created a configuration set.

On my target I booted the IBW, invoked WinPE; on the command line I typed "setup /unattend:<path to my image>\autounattend.xml".

Setup started, then reported "A required CD/DVD device driver is missing."  But when I imported my .pmq no error was thrown for the DVD device (Windows Embedded Edition was referenced).

Is this a known problem, or did I do something wrong?

Thanks,
    Dean

Thursday, December 3, 2009 9:03 PM

Answers

• When you import a PMQ file through ICE, you're mapping drivers that will be installed into the end image. This does not add drivers to WinPE, so there may occasionally be drivers that IBW needs to actually start the setup process.

Are you able to complete an installation using the IBW GUI (without using an answer file)?

As Ivan mentioned, the log files would be helpful for us.

Also, as an FYI, you can use the "Browse to Answer File or WIM" button on the first screen of IBW instead of manually opening a command prompt and using the /unattend commmand.

• Marked as answer by dpm1 Friday, December 4, 2009 2:59 PM
    Friday, December 4, 2009 12:06 AM

All replies

• Dean,

It'd be great if you could share your PMQ file and the setup logs.  Instructions for getting setup logs can be found at the end of this post: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/quebectools/thread/8ddaf298-e156-4554-ab07-5e6595d43cc4

Alternatively, you can file a bug on the Connect site where you downloaded CTP2 from.  The bug form allows you to upload files.

Thanks,
    Ivan
    Thursday, December 3, 2009 9:53 PM
  • When you import a PMQ file through ICE, you're mapping drivers that will be installed into the end image. This does not add drivers to WinPE, so there may occasionally be drivers that IBW needs to actually start the setup process.

Are you able to complete an installation using the IBW GUI (without using an answer file)?

As Ivan mentioned, the log files would be helpful for us.

Also, as an FYI, you can use the "Browse to Answer File or WIM" button on the first screen of IBW instead of manually opening a command prompt and using the /unattend commmand.

• Marked as answer by dpm1 Friday, December 4, 2009 2:59 PM
    Friday, December 4, 2009 12:06 AM
  • "Also, as an FYI, you can use the "Browse to Answer File or WIM" button on the first screen of IBW instead of manually opening a command prompt and using the /unattend commmand."

This method seemed to work - I was able to build the image.

Two questions:
    1. Is it true that evaluation images only work for 30 days?  XPe eval images were good for 120 or 180 days, I recall.
    2. Is there any advice available for porting XPe components?  I've got a production XPe image with a bunch of custom components I'd like to port to see how they'll look.  I don't see any equivalent to Component Designer or Component Database Manager in the new toolset.

Thanks,
    Dean

Friday, December 4, 2009 2:59 PM
  • From the documentation inccluded with the download:

Windows Standard 2011 CTP2 Product Key Information

The CTP2 release includes tools such as Image Configuration Editor (ICE) and Image Builder Wizard (IBW) which will allow you to configure and install an evaluation copy of Windows Embedded Standard 2011. The evaluation copy has either a 30-day or 180-day trial period depending upon whether a product key is used during setup.

[Q]  What product key should I use?

[A]   For a 30-day trial period:

·         Run setup without a product key, or

·         Use product key 00000-00000-00000-00000-00000

For a 180-day trial period:

·         Use product key 34VFJ-QQ7G4-47K84-74BHY-WQGQ2

[Q]  What happens at the end of the trial period?

[A]   Standard 2011 will shut down once every 20 minutes.

[Q]  How do I enter a product key?

[A]   There are two ways to enter a runtime product key:

-       Type it on the “Enter your Windows product key” page during setup when using IBW.

-       Use ICE to include it in your answer file for setting Shell-Setup | ProductKey in the “Specialize” Configuration Pass.

Friday, December 4, 2009 3:18 PM
  • Standard 2011 does not have the concept of Custom Components.

We understand that in XPe, many customers found it useful to package up custom applications into components that were treated just like any other part of the OS. The other benefits of custom components included the ability to version them, and the ability to create macro components, which are essentially groupings of OS functionality.

While the architecture of Standard 2011 prevented us from being able to give you the exact same functionality as XPe, we do have alternatives that are functionally equivalent.

On the Downloads section of the Connect site, we have posted the Windows Embedded Standard 2011 Lab Manual. This document details how to accomplish most tasks from Standard 2011. A section on deploying 3rd party applications is found in section 2.2.3. Essentially, OEM folders are used to place files on your end image. Synchronous commands can then be used to run installers or scripts to finalize your 3rd party application installation.

With the CTP2 release, we've introduced the concept of Templates in ICE. These templates function very similarly to Macro components in XPe, in that you can create a mini-answerfile (template) with the functionality you need for a specific task, then merge multiple templates into your answer file to build your image.

I hope this helps.

Friday, December 4, 2009 5:17 PM
  • Robert,

Thanks for your reply.

Unfortunately, what you're saying is that my entire investment in custom components will have to be discarded and rebuilt for WS2011.  I may just be a contrarian here, but that's not a cheery prospect.  Not only do I have to invest in an entirely new tool set, I also need to re-engineer and retest my product from the ground up.

May I suggest your engineering team think about tools to migrate XPe components and images?

Thanks,
    Dean

Tuesday, December 8, 2009 8:00 PM