none
Premium Disk (SSD) attached to VM is not showing in the VM

Question

• Having created a VM in Azure Preview (https://portal.azure.com) with support for Premium Hard drives, I have attached a new storage drive (512GB) to the VM in the Portal, but it is not showing up within the VM at all.  Scanning for hardware changes etc or rebooting has no effect.

Has anyone come across this before?  How do you fix it?

It's a pretty bizarre situation as Microsoft won't support Exchange in Azure unless it is built on Premium drives (only available in Azure Preview) but now that I have a technical issue with a VM in Azure Preview there is no official support for it!!

Please respond if you know anything about how to fix this.

Thanks!

Solo1512

Thursday, September 17, 2015 1:36 PM

Answers

• Thanks, Samir.

We have resolved the issue but deleting the entire VM (for other reasons as well as this one - it just made more sense) and then adding a 512 GB Premium Disk to the new VM.  THat has worked and we can now progress.

Thanks for your time and suggestions, though.  It may well prove useful in the future.

Kind regards

Solo

Monday, September 21, 2015 12:04 PM

All replies

• Hi Solo1512,

Thanks for posting here.

After attaching a disk to Azure VM, login to your VM and go to computer properties -> manage and local hard drives (Disk Management). You will find the unused/unformatted disk which was attached recently.

you have to format the disk and assign a drive letter to use it.

Girish Prajwal

Thursday, September 17, 2015 4:35 PM
  • Hi Girish,

Thanks for replying.  Unfortunately, I already checked Disk Management, and the disk doesn't show there at all. All I have it the OS disk and a 28GB "Temporary Storage" disk.  The 512 GB storage disk I attached is not there.

Can you offer any other advice on how to present the disk to the VM and have it show in Disk Manager?

Thank you

Solo

Friday, September 18, 2015 10:05 AM
  • Can you try the following:

1- Stop the VM

2- Detach the premium disk from the VM

3- Attach the premium disk (or a new one)

4- check if the disk shows

Can you then type the following command line:

Diskpart

list disk

What is the  size of your VM ?

Regards, Samir Farhat || Datacenter Consultant || The way to share my knowledge with the community Visit my blog : buildwindows.wordpress.com

Friday, September 18, 2015 10:22 AM
  • Thanks, Samir.

We have resolved the issue but deleting the entire VM (for other reasons as well as this one - it just made more sense) and then adding a 512 GB Premium Disk to the new VM.  THat has worked and we can now progress.

Thanks for your time and suggestions, though.  It may well prove useful in the future.

Kind regards

Solo

Monday, September 21, 2015 12:04 PM
  • Great, nice to see that your issue has been solved

Regards, Samir Farhat || Datacenter Consultant || The way to share my knowledge with the community Visit my blog : buildwindows.wordpress.com

Monday, September 21, 2015 12:05 PM