WPF for WinRT

Question

• Good day.
    We started develop app for winstore and we were suprised for some restriction on  the WinRT platform related with 3d transformation. In the WPF we have greate mechanism for it. 
    When we tryed to migrate our WPF app to WinRT platform we founded it's impossible.  Do you  have suggestion for it? What is your advises for us? How we can convert WPF app to fit for WinStore? 
    Are  there some samples with 3d transformation?
    Tuesday, April 09, 2013 7:01 PM

Answers

All replies

• You've probably already found these, but fwiw...

There's a discussion 3d transformations via WinRT XAML here. Failing that, you're looking at wrapping C++ (there's a sample that might be useful here). Re: WPF to WinRT, there are probably blog posts around (I'm sure there are dozens), but the only "official" documentation of which I'm aware is here.

If the primary problem you're having with your port is the 3D stuff, I'd think that wrapping DirectX is probably the most efficient way to go. But of course YMMV.

If your issues are more general, well, in my experience, moving from any UI platform to another requires some fairly major re-thinking, because you want your app to feel native. (Remember the early versions of Photoshop on Windows, when the menus didn't work right?)

That seems particularly true in moving to WinRT, because touch-first imposes some important UI requirements (fingers are just so much bigger and sloppier than mouse or stylus pointers), and the WinRT XAML environment itself has a lot of what seem to be "holes" to those of us coming from WPF. (I'm not saying they are necessarily, but I'm still waiting for somebody to explain to me why the WinRT TileBrush doesn't tile...)

Rebecca M. Riordan

Tuesday, April 09, 2013 7:30 PM
  • You might find the information here helpful as well:  http://channel9.msdn.com/posts/Developing-Windows-8-Metro-style-apps-with-C-Live-Streaming-at-0900-PDT-May-18

It was an entire day conference on C++ Windows store apps and includes talks on XAML and directx and even a talk on combining XAML and DirectX in different ways in the same app.

Best Wishes - Eric

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

• Marked as answer by Jesse Jiang Monday, April 15, 2013 1:53 AM
    Wednesday, April 10, 2013 6:50 PM
  • Moderator - Could you move this to the "Building Windows Store apps with C++" forum?

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Wednesday, April 10, 2013 6:59 PM