appcmd.exe Can't Find Request Filtering Settings RRS feed

• Question

• User66365713 posted

I have an IIS 7.5 install with Request Filtering settings made:
    (Server>Request FIltering > Edit Feature Settings)
    Max. allowed content length = 300000000
    Max. URL = 4096
    Max. query string  = 2048

There is only one web site "Default Web Site" and it is the WSUS site.

My problem is, I can't find these settings within the appcmd.exe list config anywhere. I know they are there because I can see the setting through the interface, but can't find them in the appcmd.exe commands.

My goal is to create a batch file which runs a bunch of list commands to look for various settings to speed IIS reviews, but got stopped here right away.

Thanks. Sean.

Sunday, January 5, 2014 12:03 PM

Answers

• User-823319154 posted

Hi Sean

I don't want to *Set* the Request Filtering Feature settings, I just want to *List* them, but I can't find them.

AppCmd.exe is the single command line tool for managing IIS 7 and above. According to your description above, I'd like to suggest you to learn how to use appcmd.exe in IIS, and there are some basics of appcmd.exe and understanding appcmd.exe [list|set] config here. Hope it helpful to you.

Best regards

Angie

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Tuesday, September 28, 2021 12:00 AM
    Monday, January 6, 2014 9:42 PM

All replies

• User-823319154 posted

Hi perrymans

Welcome to IIS forum.

Request Filtering is a built-in security feature, and all of the settings for the request filtering feature are located within the <requestFiltering> element. Here is an example to use AppCmd.exe,

appcmd.exe set config "Default Web Site" -section:system.webServer/security/requestFiltering /+"denyUrlSequences.[sequence='..']"

appcmd
    .exe set config "Default Web Site" -section:system.webServer/security/requestFiltering /+"denyUrlSequences.[sequence=':']"

appcmd
    .exe set config "Default Web Site" -section:system.webServer/security/requestFiltering /+"denyUrlSequences.[sequence='\']"

I think this article will be reference for you to learn Request Filtering <requestFiltering>

Best regards

Angie

Sunday, January 5, 2014 10:24 PM
  • User66365713 posted

Thanks for the response Angie, and I have seen the article.

My problem is I want to List what is set, but the list command returns an error about the the object not being present.

So in desperation, I try to even see if there are there, like:

appcmd.exe list config | find "maxURL" and nothing is returned. None of the settings I can see in Request Filtering > Edit Feature Settings appear to be in the config command. Reading the full config output, none of the settings are within system.webserver/security/requestFiltering.

I don't want to *Set* the Request Filtering Feature settings, I just want to *List* them, but I can't find them.

Thanks. Sean.

Monday, January 6, 2014 8:30 AM
  • User-823319154 posted

Hi Sean

AppCmd.exe is the single command line tool for managing IIS 7 and above. According to your description above, I'd like to suggest you to learn how to use appcmd.exe in IIS, and there are some basics of appcmd.exe and understanding appcmd.exe [list|set] config here. Hope it helpful to you.

Best regards

Angie

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Tuesday, September 28, 2021 12:00 AM
    Monday, January 6, 2014 9:42 PM