Using remote debugger without submitting to the Windows store RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I've got Visual Studio Express 2012 on Windows 8.1 Preview. I haven't yet got a Windows Store Developer account as I haven't been paid yet for something else. 

Is it possible to do "remote debugging" as well as using the Windows App Certification Kit without either sideloading to another computer (I only have the one laptop) or publishing the app to the Windows Store? Or should I just forget about that until I have a Windows Store Developer account?

I only recently finished my degree and I'm now learning C#.NET from a book I have. I learned VB.NET and ASP.NET at university but I've never submitted anything to the Windows Store, so I don't know about that process.

Thanks

Monday, October 14, 2013 1:03 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Developer Account is required for publishing apps to the Windows Store but for testing/remote debugging apps require DeveloperLicense. So you should be able to perform remote debugging with Visual Studio for the app without any issues.

Edit: You can also run the app inside a Simulator to see its behavior while running inside a tablet/surface. Simulator is like the machine is like remoting into itself.

-Sagar

Monday, October 14, 2013 1:07 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Developer Account is required for publishing apps to the Windows Store but for testing/remote debugging apps require DeveloperLicense. So you should be able to perform remote debugging with Visual Studio for the app without any issues.

Edit: You can also run the app inside a Simulator to see its behavior while running inside a tablet/surface. Simulator is like the machine is like remoting into itself.

-Sagar

Monday, October 14, 2013 1:07 PM
  • Thanks Sagar.
    Monday, October 14, 2013 1:13 PM