How to Adapt to the Visual Studio 2010 Editor RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hi,

my name is Selma Ikiz and I am a PM for the New Code Editor in Visual Studio.

We have created a set of walkthroughs for the Visual Studio 10 release, please use these walkthroughs as a guide to familiarizing with this release. Given that this is the first release of Code Editor in Visual Studio, we are excited to hear your feedback. 

Walkthrough: How to Adapt to the Visual Studio 2010 Editor

The Visual Studio 2010 editor offers many features that you can use from your existing code components. These instructions show how to consume editor services directly from a Managed Extensibility Framework (MEF) component or a non-MEF component, for example a VSPackage. It also shows how to use adapters, or shims, to get the services of the Visual Studio 2010 editor in both managed and unmanaged code.

We hope you find the walkthroughs useful and you can use the 
    Connect website to report bugs.

If you have not downloaded or would like more information about the CTP, please visit
    http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=129231.  

You can find the walkthroughs  on the VPC disk: C:\users\Public\documents\CTPWalkthroughs\Visual Studio.

Thanks!

Selma Ikiz

Code Editor PM

Sunday, October 26, 2008 10:53 PM

All replies

• Hello Selma.  I am noticing the C# editor does not seem to handle Alt+drag the same way as older versions (doing column selects).  Is there a way to turn this back on?
    Sunday, December 7, 2008 3:20 AM
  • Hi Miles,

As you point out, we haven't yet implemented the Alt+drag behavior you're expecting.  In the VS2010 CTP, the functionality isn't just disabled, it's not available, so there's no way to turn it on/off.

We're hoping to include this feature in future releases of VS2010.  In the meantime, it would be great to hear any scenarios where this "box selection" behavior is substantially more useful than standard selection.  It would help us understand which features are most important to you and prioritize accordingly.

Thanks for trying out the CTP and for sharing your feedback!

Brittany Behrens
    Program Manager, Visual Studio Platform
    Friday, January 2, 2009 8:51 PM
  • Hi

I'd just like to raise another vote for the inclusion of the Alt+Drag select behaviour in Visual Studio 2010.

It's an invaluable feature and although I don't use it every day, it's one of those small touches that make the Visual Studio code editor experience so great. When I do use it, it saves a vast amount of time and does things in a way that would be almost impossible with traditional select and paste. How else could you paste a column of 30 Tab characters in one Ctrl+V, or a complex block of syntax. (I love this feature almost as much as F12 and Ctrl+-)

I can't believe you're considering not including it...

Simon
    Friday, March 20, 2009 2:51 PM
  • Hi Simon,

Thanks for your feedback on column selection.  Although you won't see it in the upcoming VS 2010 Beta, I hope you'll be happy to hear that it will be available in the final release of VS 2010.  There may even be some new and enhanced behavior of the feature that goes beyonds the capabilities of VS 2008.  For previews of upcoming features, possibly including the updated box selection, before they're released, I'd encourage you to check out the Editor team's blog here.

Thanks again,
    Brittany Behrens
    Program Manager, VS Platform
    http://blogs.msdn.com/vseditor
    Tuesday, May 19, 2009 12:04 AM