none
How do I generate a UML diagram in VS2015 community?

Question

• I vary little time left to do this and have zero patience left for this thing now. I made a class diagram and dragged the classes on... there are no links between any of the classes! I try to use the toolbox and drag an association and the damn thing started putting methods inside my classes!! What the hell?

I just need a UML diagram for an asp.net MVC project. How do I just generate one? I do not have time to mess around for 10 years doing this thing bit by bit in Visio. I need it now...

Like I said I tried making a diagram using class diagram and it start altering my classes. I just want the diagram - why would I need to drag every single class onto the diagram anyway? Why does it not just create it - it should be something that it just creates, yes?

If there is something I need to add onto visual studio then please advise me.

• Edited by lolzoid Saturday, May 14, 2016 10:13 PM
    Saturday, May 14, 2016 10:13 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi lolzoid,

I am very sorry but I think that you can not make any UML diagram in Visual Studio Community edition.

Please take a look at two URLs that I mentioned in this answer.

You can see here how to create UML diagram in Visual Studio: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd409445.aspx

but on this MSDN documentation of Version support for architecture and modeling tools you can see that Visual Studio Community does not have any of the features for making diagrams, you can see here: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh871439.aspx#VersionSupport

Image source is MSDN documentation What's new for design in Visual Studio link here: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh871439.aspx#VersionSupport

Hope this answer is helpful for you...

Best regards!

(If this was helpful for you, vote for it and propose it as an answer)

Sunday, May 15, 2016 1:44 PM
  • It was written in a state of desperation (which is probably apparent). Kind of useful I guess but I was maybe hoping there was something I could plug in. I ended up just doing one manually. I tried a few things but they had poor instructions like most software.
    Sunday, May 15, 2016 8:33 PM
  • Hi lolzoid,

Could you please tell us some more about your requirement.

According to Almir Vuk's description, not all of versions of Visual Studio provide support for the architecture and modelling tools. So I am afraid it is not support to create a UML diagram in VS2015 community.

For more information about UML diagram, I suggest you'd better post it to the Visual Studio Code Visualization & Modeling Tools forum for better support.

Best Regards,

Lake Xiao

Monday, May 16, 2016 6:41 AM
  • Hi thanks for the reply but it has already been done. I was somewhat desperate because I needed something quick and I was sure a VS that was not express would be able to do it.

Maybe the main thing was trying to find if there was some kind of external tool that could be used. I took a look at a few but could not work them out quick enough so I just did it by hand in Visio.

Tuesday, May 17, 2016 9:09 PM
  • Hi lolzoid,

I am sorry to hear that but the important thing is that you have finished your task on easy or hard way... If any of the answers above were helpful for you, please mark them as an answer or vote for them it helps us to be more active and give us motivation for helping people in our community.

Best regards!

(If this was helpful for you, vote for it and propose it as an answer)

Tuesday, May 17, 2016 9:17 PM