VSpackage: How to add command in Watch window RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I am developing a VSpackage. I need to add a new command into menu which appears in Watch window when we click on a variable (in debugging).

When we enter into break mode we see that variable has the following menu: Copy, Edit Value,...,Hexademical Display and so on. 

I would like to add my custom command here. 

In what direction do i need to look? Is it related to EnvDTE components or something else?

It seems to me that this issue is poorly documented on MSDN.

Thanks in advance,

Thursday, March 6, 2014 3:57 PM

Answers

• I would suggest using the EnableVSIPLogging registry value to identify the guid:id pair for the particular context menu you are interested in. You can then parent your menu group directly to that context menu, via your .VSCT file.

Sincerely,

Ed Dore

Friday, March 14, 2014 5:49 PM

All replies

• Hi ZELEZIAKA,

Thank you for posting here!

>>In what direction do i need to look? Is it related to EnvDTE components or something else?

After a lot of search, I think here is a good blog "Extending the Watching Window in Visual Studio via a Debugger Addin" for your reference.

According to your description, you want to create a VSPackage. So please refer to this document in to a VSPackage.

Best regards,

Sunny

Monday, March 10, 2014 6:09 AM
  • Hi, Sunny

Thanks for reply,

I have looked through the link. It is not what i was expecting to see. The article describes how to evaluate the expression using DTE functions via events. There is nothing about the Watch window. 

I believe the caption of this article is a bit incorrect. 

I have spend almost a week to find a solution. And failed. 

I'm starting to believe that there is no access to the Watch Window from the DTE. 

Still would like to ask developers who were developing the Visual Studio directly.

maybe there are any ways to contact them?

Thanks,

Friday, March 14, 2014 11:54 AM
  • I would suggest using the EnableVSIPLogging registry value to identify the guid:id pair for the particular context menu you are interested in. You can then parent your menu group directly to that context menu, via your .VSCT file.

Sincerely,

Ed Dore

Friday, March 14, 2014 5:49 PM
  • Thanks a lot for help.

It worked for me.

Monday, March 31, 2014 12:36 PM