none
New versions of FE and BE files RRS feed

• Question

• I have made an application with frontend-files with several users and a single be-file at a server location.

Now, I want to update these files, both the fe and be files. I want to alter the database structure in the be-file. 

How is this best accomplished?

Is there a way of joining the fe+be and work it all out in an ordinary single mdb, and then saving it with a new version number followed by a new split?

Or should I work with the two (fe and be) separately and then update the links?

Bert

MR_ANDERSSON

Monday, February 25, 2019 1:57 PM

Answers

• Hi Bert. It's not necessary to join the files back together for changes to simply split them up again for deployment. You should have a copy of the BE file for your development. Replacing the FE is easy - you just replace the current one with the new version. Upgrading/changing the BE is a little complicated. Depending on how extensive your changes to the BE are, you can perform the changes off hours (when no one is using the database), or you can use code to make some minor changes to the BE (but still a good idea to perform them when no one is using the database). There are tools available to perform both updates (FE and BE) automatically for you, but you can do them manually - just be careful.
    • Marked as answer by MR_ANDERSSON Monday, February 25, 2019 5:16 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by MR_ANDERSSON Monday, February 25, 2019 5:19 PM
    • Marked as answer by MR_ANDERSSON Monday, February 25, 2019 5:20 PM
    Monday, February 25, 2019 5:12 PM

All replies

• Hi Bert. It's not necessary to join the files back together for changes to simply split them up again for deployment. You should have a copy of the BE file for your development. Replacing the FE is easy - you just replace the current one with the new version. Upgrading/changing the BE is a little complicated. Depending on how extensive your changes to the BE are, you can perform the changes off hours (when no one is using the database), or you can use code to make some minor changes to the BE (but still a good idea to perform them when no one is using the database). There are tools available to perform both updates (FE and BE) automatically for you, but you can do them manually - just be careful.
    • Marked as answer by MR_ANDERSSON Monday, February 25, 2019 5:16 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by MR_ANDERSSON Monday, February 25, 2019 5:19 PM
    • Marked as answer by MR_ANDERSSON Monday, February 25, 2019 5:20 PM
    Monday, February 25, 2019 5:12 PM
  • Hi DBguy,

Thanks for clarification. I already started to test what you suggested on a copy of the files.

I would like to have the new files with a modified file-name, like version # (v 2.4 to v 2.5). Could there be any problems with the linking doing so? Can this best be accomplished by just renaming the files, alternatively to save them under the new names?

Regards,
    Bert

MR_ANDERSSON

Monday, February 25, 2019 8:58 PM
  • Hi. I usually leave the filename alone and simply add the version number in a table within the database. You can of course rename the FE without any problems and just give the users a copy of the new file. But, renaming the BE file could be problematic because the link to the FE relies on keeping the same name of the BE file. So, if you change the name of the BE file, you'll have to relink all the FE files again. Just my 2 cents...
    Monday, February 25, 2019 9:34 PM
  • You could distribute the revised fronted automatically by using a shortcut and a script.

The version number should be kept in an About form for the user to open at any time, while the distributed file name should remain the same:

Deploy and update a Microsoft Access application with one click

Gustav Brock

Tuesday, February 26, 2019 8:21 AM