Access 2007 Developer Package Solution Question RRS feed

• Question

•  

Having some problems with the Access 2007 Package Solution Wizard.

1.  First, what if I want to package the app to be installed on a mapped network drive?  The choices for Root Install Folder in the wizard are:  System Drive (All Users), User Appdata (Current User),  My Documents (Current User),  System Drive (All Users), Common Appdata (All Users, Read only on vista) and Program Files  (All Users, Read only on vista).  What if I want to install in on Drive X: for example?  I really want to install it in X:\database\inprocessinspection.
    2. The file to package is: X:\Database\InProcessInspection\InProcessInspection.accdb  I am Requiring the Access 2007 Runtime to be downloaded if Access is not already installed.  (The file will be installed with the ACCDR file extension and Access 2007 Runtime Support will be enabled.
    3. The Install Subfolder location doesn’t seem to work properly.   If I Input for example; “Database\InProcessInspection” in the location, when it tries to create the package, it says “The destination subfolder name cannot contain any of the following characters:  /:*?”<>|+,;=[ ]  and the package is not created.  None of those characters are in my subfolder name.  Also the Example install location would appear to be almost correct, it says “c:\database\inprocessinspection\inprocessinspection.accdr” which would be correct except for the C:\ drive designator.
    4. The closest I can get is to choose System Drive (All Users), and put in a install subfolder of Database.  This yield’s an Example install location of C:\Database\InProcessInspection.accdr.  The package installs the ACCDR in the C:\database folder and it runs just fine.  I thought perhaps that I could then just manually move or copy the InProcessInspection.accdr file to the desired network X:\Database\InProcessInspection folder, which works, but a security message pops up and I have to click OK every time before it will run.  If I run the file from the C:\Database\InProcessInspection.accdr location, it runs fine, no security message.
    5. I also tried to do a “Custom” install with the package.  If I browse to the “X:\database\Inprocessinspection” location where I want it to go, the installer tells me:  “The specified path is too long.  X:\database\”.   It does not install.

Bottom line is that I want to create a “Developer” “Package Solution” using all the parameters I have discussed in this post, but can’t seem to do it correctly!

Any suggestions/solutions to any of these items.

Tuesday, March 20, 2012 6:58 PM

Answers

• tkosel,

The exact problems you are describing 1,2,3 & 5 are the reasons I've ditched using the package wizard and have switched to Inno. The reason behind #4 is different but Inno can solve that as well.  With Inno I create my packages as follows:

1) Create an Accde of my front-end and rename it accdr.

2) Use Inno to:

• Place the front-end (and other files) where I want them (in my case, on the workstation)
    • Check if the backend file is in place and if not, place it there (on the shared drive)
    • Install the runtime on the workstation (either include it in the install file or have it downloaded from a web source)
    • Create shortcuts as desired.
    • Add a line to the registry showing your front-end installation location as a trusted location so that you do not get the security message you mentioned in item #4

Inno allows you to customize your install in any way you'd like and it is not a hard scripting language to learn.  Albert Kallal has a nice article on the topic: http://www.kallal.ca/RunTime/Index.html 

Best of luck,

Joe

• Marked as answer by tkosel Tuesday, March 27, 2012 4:17 PM
    Wednesday, March 21, 2012 1:18 PM

All replies

• the output of the Access 2007 Developer Package  is a windows install package.  Like any windows installation you must run the setup.exe on each PC that is using the application.  Rather than put the installation software on a CD you can create a CD deployment folder on a network drive so evverybody who need the application can go to a network drive to do the installation, or even better create a shortcut and email the users the shortcut.  Then everybody and simply press the shortcut from tere email to perform the installation.

AYou also can put common files that the application uses a network drive.  It is probabgly better that you refer to the network drives under the mapped drive name \\myserver\.... than the x:\database name because different users my be using a different drive letter for the network drive.

jdweng

Tuesday, March 20, 2012 7:11 PM
  • Joel,

Joel, I understand all the stuff you mentioned, thanks.  However, the crux of the matter is that the package wizard doens't appear to work properly.  See items 3, 4 and 5. 

Also, the package wizard doesn't support unc as you suggested i.e. \\myserver\...  doesn't work.

• Edited by tkosel Tuesday, March 20, 2012 7:36 PM
    Tuesday, March 20, 2012 7:31 PM
  • tkosel,

The exact problems you are describing 1,2,3 & 5 are the reasons I've ditched using the package wizard and have switched to Inno. The reason behind #4 is different but Inno can solve that as well.  With Inno I create my packages as follows:

1) Create an Accde of my front-end and rename it accdr.

2) Use Inno to:

• Place the front-end (and other files) where I want them (in my case, on the workstation)
    • Check if the backend file is in place and if not, place it there (on the shared drive)
    • Install the runtime on the workstation (either include it in the install file or have it downloaded from a web source)
    • Create shortcuts as desired.
    • Add a line to the registry showing your front-end installation location as a trusted location so that you do not get the security message you mentioned in item #4

Inno allows you to customize your install in any way you'd like and it is not a hard scripting language to learn.  Albert Kallal has a nice article on the topic: http://www.kallal.ca/RunTime/Index.html 

Best of luck,

Joe

• Marked as answer by tkosel Tuesday, March 27, 2012 4:17 PM
    Wednesday, March 21, 2012 1:18 PM
  • Joe,

Thanks so much for your information.  All the suggestions have be taken and solved my issues.  The article from Albert Kallal was very informative.

Tuesday, March 27, 2012 4:19 PM