none
Azure services shows inadequate error messages which I even can not copy from the screen! RRS feed

• Question

• Showing error messages like the one on the image is not helpful at all.

My internet connection is excellent. My stream is excellent - no errors from the stream software - OBS - the other side of the pipe receives the data well. So I expect to be able to click Watch and to see the stream.

To tell me to try again later is not something I want to read in production. Should I tell my audience to come later? How can I respond to this error? (I am not using the service for production yet)

To show me 0x202200193 is neither helpful. 

No visual indicators of any of the components along the way of the stream whatsoever - input endpoint, input stream, input format, output endpoint,...no indicators at all.

How the users of this service are supposed to know what is happening?

Take a look at youtube : stream traffic indicators, stream health indicators, stream format indicators, responsive endpoints,...

I am dev and I will gladly give feedback to anybody interested, but please add some indicators and make the error messages more informative and make them COPY-PASTE compatible. 

• Edited by Ognyan Thursday, November 7, 2019 6:43 PM
    Thursday, November 7, 2019 6:37 PM

Answers

• Thanks for asking question! We have continuous efforts to improve troubleshooting live streaming experience.

For now, there are a few different aspects in troubleshooting along the entire streaming pipeline:

1. Azure Media Player (AMP). The error 0x20200193 means networkErrHttpUserForbidden, i.e. Http 403 error response, You may try to turn on Verbose logging to get more detailed player side logs.
    2. To troubleshoot the live event on the ingest side, we have Event Grid events you can subscribe those Event Grid events to see if there are stream-level events or track-level events that indicated any errors on the ingest side. See more details at https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/media-services/latest/media-services-event-schemas#live-event-types.
    3. You may also try to use the Preview URL to see if preview works for that live event, this can quickly validate the live event from the ingest point.
    4. To troubleshoot on Streaming Endpoint side, we currently provide metrics via Azure Monitor.

In case all the above failed to find clues of the problem, let me know.

Thanks again for the feedback to improve self-diagnostics. The best way to share your feedback would be to create a User Voice feedback item and upvote it. The product group monitors this site for feedback. This is the best way to ensure you are heard and you may receive a response depending on how much they information they can currently share.

Saturday, November 9, 2019 2:05 AM

All replies

• Thanks for asking question! We have continuous efforts to improve troubleshooting live streaming experience.

For now, there are a few different aspects in troubleshooting along the entire streaming pipeline:

1. Azure Media Player (AMP). The error 0x20200193 means networkErrHttpUserForbidden, i.e. Http 403 error response, You may try to turn on Verbose logging to get more detailed player side logs.
    2. To troubleshoot the live event on the ingest side, we have Event Grid events you can subscribe those Event Grid events to see if there are stream-level events or track-level events that indicated any errors on the ingest side. See more details at https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/media-services/latest/media-services-event-schemas#live-event-types.
    3. You may also try to use the Preview URL to see if preview works for that live event, this can quickly validate the live event from the ingest point.
    4. To troubleshoot on Streaming Endpoint side, we currently provide metrics via Azure Monitor.

In case all the above failed to find clues of the problem, let me know.

Thanks again for the feedback to improve self-diagnostics. The best way to share your feedback would be to create a User Voice feedback item and upvote it. The product group monitors this site for feedback. This is the best way to ensure you are heard and you may receive a response depending on how much they information they can currently share.

Saturday, November 9, 2019 2:05 AM
  • Thank you for your response and guidance! 

I am starting to get the big picture. The docs are really extensive. What I believe will be a major improvement is a big detailed schematic with the architecture with the data flow and the points where we can put diagnostics 'probes' to track the specific problem for the particular point.

Thanks again.  

Sunday, November 10, 2019 7:02 PM
  • Thanks for your valuable feedback! We have shared the feedback with the doc authors for improvements. 
    Monday, November 11, 2019 4:51 AM