none
Time zone is not correct for imported appointment RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

My PC was set to Australia time zone. I had imported a recurring Appointment to Outlook from a ics file (that created from other user).
    The Appointment was created from time zone "Eastern Time (US & Canada)

When editing the Appointment in Outlook, in the recurring pattern, I could see the Appointment Recurrence Start, 2:30PM, the time zone is "Eastern Time (US & Canada). The time zone is dimmed and I cannot change it.

In Outlook, Calendar Month View, I could see the appointment start at 4:30am (AU timezone), which is correct.

In VB.NET 2010, I tried to get the time zone of the appointment (myAppointment.StartTimeZone), it returned "(UTC+10:00) Canberra, Melbourne, Sydney". I would expect it returned "East Time (US & Canada). But it's not.

Because of this, I cannot calculate the appointment time correctly.

If I create a recurring appointment from Outlook directly, this issue won't happen. The myApp..StartTimeZone is always equal to the timezone that I've specified in the recurring pattern.

For my case, is there any way to get the correct timezone of the imported recurring appointment?

Why the imported appointment is different from the appointment that we created from Outlook directly?

Thanks.

Cow

Tuesday, September 11, 2012 9:47 AM

All replies

• I believe it'll display the TimeZone in which it was created in your Calendar.

Can you use StartUTC instead?

Tuesday, September 11, 2012 11:44 AM
  • No, I can't. 

I need to get the correct time zone. Otherwise, I cannot calculate the correct recurring instances because the UTC doesn't tell the Day Light Saving.

In Outlook, you can see the correct time zone in the Edit recurring screen. But VB.NET return the incorrect time zone. 

Is there any other way to get the correct time zone?

Thanks.

Sunday, September 16, 2012 9:46 AM
  • Hi cowcow222,

Thanks for posting in the MSDN forum.

As far as I know, that ics file is a text based file, I think you can get TimeZon at TZOFFSETFORM and TZOFFSETTO

there is the mean of it: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/3872178/what-does-tzoffsetfrom-and-tzoffsetto-mean

I hope it can help you.

Have a good day,

Tom

Tom Xu [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

Monday, September 17, 2012 7:20 AM
  • Thank you for your suggestions.

But we only read the events from Outlook, not from the ics file. It just so happens users complained that the imported events were not displayed correctly after sync to our server. They sent me that ics file for my testing.

It looks like this is a unknown bug. If Outlook can display the time zone correctly, it must be stored somewhere.  Hope someone can give me some idea.

Thanks.
    Thursday, September 20, 2012 8:07 AM
  • Hi cowcow222,

OK, I will involve some experts into your issue to see whether they can help you. There might be some time delay, thanks for your patience.

Have a good day,

Tom

Tom Xu [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

Monday, September 24, 2012 5:57 AM
  • Hi,

Is this problem specific to importing the ICS file? I understand you tried testing with a "normally-created" appointment, but was this an appointment that originated on your machine, or was it one that was created from scratch by the user in the Eastern US timezone?

Overall, these problems can be difficult to diagnose. You would typically need to try to compare a working and non-working appointment using a MAPI property tools such as MFCMAPI or Outlook Spy, and that's a tedious process, especially for a timezone scenario like this.

Also, what versions of Outlook are being used on all of the relevant computers?

Bill Jacob - Microsoft Customer Service & Support - Developer Messaging

Wednesday, September 26, 2012 2:33 PM
  • Is there an update on this issue.  I am using Outlook 2010 64-bit and have the same issue.  It only happens if the appointment originated as an ICS (in my case specifically when the appointment is recurent and scheduled via GoToMeeting), regardless of whether I scheduled it or someone else scheduled it.
    Tuesday, March 26, 2013 7:00 PM