none
Sum field showing as blank, not solved by reboot RRS feed

• Question

• I’m having problems with an Access 2010 compiled program showing the sum of a calculated field as blank on 1 computer.  It works fine on every other computer.  I have not tried summing a non calculated field.  Please note - this is different from the Microsoft problem that requires a reboot to fix.  A reboot has not helped. 

I have two Access programs that have an Access front end and SQL back end.  On my client’s computer they use the Access 2010 runtime.  The first program, Program A, works as expected.  The second program, Program B, is the one that has problems.  I have an invoice form that has a subform with inventory line items on it.  The subtotal is a calculated field and it displays properly.  There is another field that is the sum of the subtotal that is the problem.  This sum is showing as blank.   If I do an NZ the sum will show as zero.  I have the sum as a hidden field on each line of the subform.  I made that visible while testing.  I created this invoice form several years ago starting from the invoice in Program A.  The basic function of summing the subtotal of the lines has not changed.  The total will appear if I press F9 or have code in my program that does a refresh.  As soon as I edit the quantity or add a new inventory line the totals are gone again.

This problem occurs on only one computer.  It’s my clients so I don’t have a great test environment.  This is a new Windows 8.1 computer.  My client said they have run the program successfully on other 8.1 machines.  I don’t have an 8.1 machine to test with.  Here is what I’ve done. 

• I assumed this was a reference program.  I added something to check for missing references.  They were fine.
    • I had someone reboot the computer several times. 
    • I uninstalled my Access programs and reinstalled as administrator.  Note both Programs A and B are installed with the same installation program.
    • I made sure Access 2010 Runtime SP 2 is installed.
    • Still thinking it was a reference problem, I ran one program that is part of the installation separately as administrator. 
    • I ran a batch file to make sure one set of references used for credit cards was registered. 
    • In order to determine if it was a reference problem, I removed several references and remarked out a lot of code so the references were the same in Program A and Program B.
    • I checked the Trust Center.  It’s the same on both programs.
    • I renamed Program B to Program A’s name just to see if that made a difference.
    • I checked the Add Ins, both programs are the same.

I’ve had the program up for hours before and I see it refresh, but the totals do not appear.

Now I’m at a loss.  Every update has been installed.  Does anyone have a suggestion of what to try?  It doesn’t have anything to do with the data.  I can look at invoices created in Program B with Program A and they sum correctly.  Also, I’m looking at two different forms in Program B and they both have the same problem.  My boss wants me to put in a bunch of refreshes, but I’m concerned about the speed and what other problems might be lingering that I wouldn’t find out until later.

Friday, November 6, 2015 11:18 PM

Answers

• SOLVED!

This was some kind of permission issue.  We found it you right click on the icon and run as administrator the totals appear.  If you don't run as administrator the totals are zero (because I NZ) and you need to refresh to get the total. 

The user is an administrator on the computer and was setup as an administrator in Active Directory on the server.  The program itself was installed using "run as administrator".

We decided not to uninstall and reinstall.  We just used the checkbox on the icon itself to always run as administrator.

Monday, November 9, 2015 7:52 PM

All replies

• well to me it distills down to this:

* you state that NZ works and shows 0 and so this means it is definitely getting null

* you state at the end about putting in 'a bunch of refreshes': does that make it work? ...you don't say on this critical point...

in a math sequence, any blank (null) in the sequence will result in the final total being null.  If a refresh is fixing it then possibly it is that a newly entered value is not yet written to the table and you need to force that write......

Saturday, November 7, 2015 3:42 PM
  • This is a common problem starting with 2007 on up.  Microsoft is aware of the problem and has produced a patch for it.  However, in a subsequent update, the problem is reintroduced.  The problem seems to manifest on machines that have been running for an extended period of time without re-boot. 

The immediate resolve is to use a DoCmd.Recalc vs. DoCmd.Requery or DoCmd.Refresh.  Otherwise, as you've noticed already, you can manually use F9 to requery the form.  Of course, you can also try re-booting your machine as well.

Saturday, November 7, 2015 4:15 PM
  • This is not the same problem that is solved by a reboot.  A reboot does not help. 

The problem only occurs on one computer, Windows 8.1 Pro, but not all Windows 8.1 Pro machines.  There is something that is machine specific that is causing the problem.  I am reluctant to change the program by adding recalc in numerous places just to make the form work.  I would also need to do it in several other forms. 

Does anyone have an idea of what could be making the totals blank on just one computer?

Monday, November 9, 2015 5:39 PM
  • SOLVED!

This was some kind of permission issue.  We found it you right click on the icon and run as administrator the totals appear.  If you don't run as administrator the totals are zero (because I NZ) and you need to refresh to get the total. 

The user is an administrator on the computer and was setup as an administrator in Active Directory on the server.  The program itself was installed using "run as administrator".

We decided not to uninstall and reinstall.  We just used the checkbox on the icon itself to always run as administrator.

Monday, November 9, 2015 7:52 PM
  • wow....interesting...first time I've seen that...will note this.....
    Tuesday, November 10, 2015 1:28 PM