determine if impersonation is needed at run-time? RRS feed

• Question

• User-1020797826 posted

Hi,

I have an app which I use to start and stop services on a local PC.  In order to make this work on a remote PC I added in an impersonation class and encapsulated most of my service handling logic inside the higher user account.  Well, now I would like to modify this application so that I can determine before I make the call if I need to impersonate another user. The reason for this is because to now run it locally I have to make sure my impersonation account exists on the local machine, etc. Lots of extra work for some supposedly portable code.

The only way I thought of to do this was to catch invalidoperationexceptions and throw a custom exception type.  But it seems to me this method would result in much duplicate/redundant code where I would have a tryimpersonate() and a trywithoutimpersonate() for each service query.

So I hope that  someone can tell me a quick and easy way to determine whether the impersonate call is necessary. The only service related queries I ever call are serviceprocess.status, start, and stop.

Wednesday, August 27, 2008 3:42 PM

Answers

• User-1020797826 posted

Problem resolved.  I wish I could cancel my post approval sometimes.. 

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Wednesday, August 27, 2008 8:42 PM