none
Hyper-V Blue Screen in Windows 2008 R2 64-Bit 180 days Evaluation RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I encountered a blue screen when I installed and "power on" any guest OS in my Windows 2008 R2 64-Bit hyper-V.  I bought a laptop HP i5 DV6-3040ee for this testing so that it is handy wherever I go. the unit has 4GB of RAM and that the documentation shows that it supports the said hyper-V virtualization technology. I can stall the guest OS but once I "power on" the guest OS, my laptop freeze and immediately blue screen appear. Same thing happened to VMWare. However, when I dis-able the vitualization support in the BIOS of the laptop, the all VMWare guest OS are running, of course the hyper-V will not run. I need to run 64-bit guest OS.

Anybody can give me idea on how I can run my guest OS in my Hyper-V laptop running Windows 2008 R2 Data Center Edition 180 days Evaluation?

The evaluation server is updated to all available patches of Microsoft.

Thanks,

Monday, April 11, 2011 6:44 PM

Answers

• You could try updating your BIOS firmware.

Regards,
    Mark Broadbent.

Contact me through (twitter|blog)

Please click "Propose As Answer" if a post solves your problem
    or "Vote As Helpful" if a post has been useful to you
    • Marked as answer by SecondOpinion Wednesday, June 20, 2012 3:30 PM
    Tuesday, April 12, 2011 5:26 PM

All replies

• You could try updating your BIOS firmware.

Regards,
    Mark Broadbent.

Contact me through (twitter|blog)

Please click "Propose As Answer" if a post solves your problem
    or "Vote As Helpful" if a post has been useful to you
    • Marked as answer by SecondOpinion Wednesday, June 20, 2012 3:30 PM
    Tuesday, April 12, 2011 5:26 PM
  • I already updated the BIOS firmware but nothing happen. Thank you very much.

Sunday, May 22, 2011 6:37 PM
  • This problem is already solved. The suspect of the sudden blue screen problem is the ATI Video Card driver is and maybe some other software device drivers are not compatible with the Microsoft hyper-V. Except the hyper-V role, I did not configure any other role in the host OS server. Also, I did not install any device driver in the machine. I already upgraded the RAM memory of the machine to 8GB and now the hyper-V has four running guest server OS. But the problem is that these guest OS have very limited time of expiration. Although there are some limitations in sound, USB and other device, I am quite satisfied with the hyper-V Visualization technology.

• Marked as answer by SecondOpinion Thursday, June 23, 2011 5:57 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by SecondOpinion Thursday, June 23, 2011 6:06 PM
    Thursday, June 23, 2011 5:57 PM
  • I switched to HP Xeon Quad Core machine with 16GB of RAM of for a better virtualization experience.

Following are confirmed:

1. Guest server OS can be activated to six month (internet connection needed).

2. You need to upgrade your Host Server OS 2008 to SP1 to avoid the blue screen.

3. All devices drivers can now be installed.

4. Problem of ATI Radeon Video Card driver was already solved by manufacturer.

5. All guest server OS can access the internet connection at the same time.

6. Home self study of Microsoft Hyper-V is now easier and fun.

Wednesday, June 20, 2012 3:51 PM