Visual Studio C++ crashes every time I build RRS feed

• Question

• I'm was running Visual Studio 2010 Professional on a Windows 7 64bit computer with no plugins. It was working completely fine for about 3 weeks after downloading, but then it suddenly started force closing every time I built a C++ project. It doesn't matter what type of C++ project it is, I always get the message: "Microsoft VS has encountered a problem and needs to close". It crashes the same way in safe mode and on the first build of a brand new, unaltered project. I've tried repairing the installation and uninstalling then reinstalling but nothing has worked and I can't find a single good solution on the web. I ended up uninstalling VS Pro and installing VS C++ Express. I got the same error, crashes right after the build finishes. I've looked around on the web and haven't found any help, but I have found that other people have been experiencing the same problem. I created a dump file if anyone would like to see it but here's some info from the summary: 

Exception Code: 0xE0434F4D

Exception Information: And Exception came from the CLR.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I'm in the middle of a project and can't keep working with VS like this

Monday, July 11, 2011 7:04 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Cbas23,

Thanks for your post.

First, I would like to suggest you try some common troubleshooting methods:

1. Open Visual Studio Command Prompt (2010) under Start menu -> All Programs -> Microsoft Visual Studio 2010  -> Visual Studio Tools (run it with Administrator privilege: right-click the program -> Run as administrator);
    2. Run devenv /Resetsettings to eliminate the cause of corrupted settings.
    3. Run devenv /ResetSkipPkgs in Command Prompt.
    4. Run devenv /Safemode to see if you can apply it correctly. This can eliminate the possibility that third party Add-ins or packages are causing problems;
    5. Reboot the machine in Safe Mode. This can isolate some third party application/driver's interference;
    6. Switch and try a new user account. This can rule out the possibility of corrupted user profile.

If the above methods do not work, you can:

• Enable Visual Studio logging to log all activity to the specified log path.
      Please run devenv.exe /log <log path> in Command Prompt, the log files will be generated in the <log path>. Then you can check and analyze the log file to see if there are anything incorrect;
    • Check the Event Viewer for more information about the crash;
    • If you have collected the dump files, I recommand you submit this feedback to Microsoft Connect feedback Center in formal format. Microsoft engineers will evaluate them seriously and report to Product Group. http://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/
      In your feedback, you can quote the URL to this thread, so that the whole conversation can be available. Every feedback submitted will be evaluated carefully by our engineers. They will let you know their comments further through that portal. It would be great if you can also paste the link to the submitted feedback here, so that other community members can see it as well.

If there are any updates, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards,

Andrew Wu [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Wednesday, July 13, 2011 9:24 AM
  • Thanks for the reply, I was able to resolve the issue though. I actually found the solution before I posted this, I just didn't know there was a difference between running cmd.exe as an admin and running it from an admins profile...

To fix: click start, type "cmd" into the search box, right click "cmd.exe" in the search results, select "run as admin", then run this command: regsvr32 "C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer\ieproxy.dll"

Reference: http://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/details/533194/crash-while-compile-an-extremely-simple-c-project

• Marked as answer by Andrew.Wu Thursday, July 14, 2011 1:57 AM
    Wednesday, July 13, 2011 5:44 PM