Multi User Error on Local Computer RRS feed

• Question

• Hello Experts,

Okay I am going to try and explain this as best as possible.

I have compiled one exe with databases, forms etc, and another without databases. The exe with databases I installed on my computer,
    I shared the program folder "InvoiceAuto" and gave full access right to everyone, administrators, and HomGroupUsers <<maybe this is overkill>>
    anyway, I also  mapped Network drive where drive letter is Y:, I am currently using Avast Antivirus and in Global exlusions i have exlcluded the program folder
    and the mapped network drive Y:..My program runs fine on my computer no problems whatsoever, but on my other computer which is a laptop I have installed the exe without databases and  I am comming accross an error. The Program itself launches fine no problems and yes the networkdrive is mapped there aswell obviously but when i go to add a new customer i get an error message " Cannot update cursor CUSTOMERS, Since it is ReadOnly"
    Avast is installed on this laptop aswell and program folder and network drive is excluded.
    I have also checked for select statements that may be missing READWRITE

if i have missed anything please advise

Any help is much appreciated

Saturday, March 2, 2013 4:52 PM

Answers

• Even when you described the problem "as best as possible" we don't have sufficient info to help...

The most valuable for us would be if you write a piece of code which does following:

USE d:\path\SomeFile
    ? ISREADONLY()
    APPEND BLANK BROWSE NOWAIT
    WAIT WINDOW "Do you see the new record?"

The d:\path\SomeFile should be a DBF placed in your data folder (exactly same folder where you read your DBFs by the EXE). If the file is open as Read/only then you have to investigate WHY. If the file is writable then you have to review your application and check the difference in table usage betweeen your application and this short example.

You may test above program both as EXE and from VFP IDE.

You should also answer following questions:

1) Are you able to create a file in the mapped folder from your laptop?

2) Are you able to update some (text) file in the mapped folder from your laptop?

3) Repeat the step 2) but for a file created from the desktop.

The problem is in access rights probably. Avast does not make files r/o.

• Edited by Pavel Celba Saturday, March 2, 2013 5:31 PM
    • Marked as answer by mikelvfp Saturday, March 2, 2013 9:11 PM
    Saturday, March 2, 2013 5:30 PM

All replies

• Even when you described the problem "as best as possible" we don't have sufficient info to help...

The most valuable for us would be if you write a piece of code which does following:

USE d:\path\SomeFile
    ? ISREADONLY()
    APPEND BLANK BROWSE NOWAIT
    WAIT WINDOW "Do you see the new record?"

The d:\path\SomeFile should be a DBF placed in your data folder (exactly same folder where you read your DBFs by the EXE). If the file is open as Read/only then you have to investigate WHY. If the file is writable then you have to review your application and check the difference in table usage betweeen your application and this short example.

You may test above program both as EXE and from VFP IDE.

You should also answer following questions:

1) Are you able to create a file in the mapped folder from your laptop?

2) Are you able to update some (text) file in the mapped folder from your laptop?

3) Repeat the step 2) but for a file created from the desktop.

The problem is in access rights probably. Avast does not make files r/o.

• Edited by Pavel Celba Saturday, March 2, 2013 5:31 PM
    • Marked as answer by mikelvfp Saturday, March 2, 2013 9:11 PM
    Saturday, March 2, 2013 5:30 PM
  • Thank you so much Pavel you truly are blessed with brilliance...first I checked to see if I could actually create a new record or if it would come back readonly..
    Then I pulled my hairs out playing around with the permissions on the actual folder, and then finally I realized maybe I should set some permissions on the mapped drive
    and sure enough it worked like a charm.

Moral of the story "It was a permissions Issue" just like Pavel mentioned

Thank you sooooo much Pavel

• Edited by mikelvfp Saturday, March 2, 2013 10:27 PM mistake
    Saturday, March 2, 2013 9:10 PM