none
Is there a way to send a html based newsletter from expression rather than exporting to frontpage first. RRS feed

• Question

• The reasoning behind why this is needed is that the formatting changes and everything has to be recorrected in Frontpage after export.
    Wednesday, November 23, 2011 11:01 AM

All replies

• Why the need for 'recorrection' in FP? EW will be giving correct, valid HTML and FP probably won't.

However be aware that the HTML needed for email newsletters is restricted and needs careful design.

See the following:

http://www.sitepoint.com/principles-beautiful-html-email/

http://www.sitepoint.com/code-html-email-newsletters/

HTH

Ian Haynes

EW V4 Add-Ins
    EW resources, hints and tips
    Wednesday, November 23, 2011 11:18 AM
  • Hi,

All of the images and text get misplaced and push around the page when exported thats the only problem really, it can take quite a long time to sort out and I wondered if you know any other way to do this without using frontpage to send the email.

Basically when the are moved to frontpage they are sent directly from there as email.

So is there no way of doing it all from Expression?

Thanks

Wednesday, November 23, 2011 11:45 AM
  • Did you read the links Ian gave?

The two main important pieces of advice is to use tables and inline css styling. As well, use absolute references to images already on your web site.

You also need to place a copy of the email on your web site and include a text hyperlink to the email that is on your host pointing to it. Why? For those of us who do not view html newsletters in our email readers. They then can go and view it if they desire.

Do not use javascript.

Take care, Mike

Wednesday, November 23, 2011 1:18 PM
  • Note carefully Mike's point about providing an alternative for those who, like me, read all mail as plain text for security reasons. If you send me an HTML-only email, it goes straight into the bit bucket and is never viewed.

Even a link to a Web-hosted version is unlikely to persuade me to click it (why would I expose myself to the same HTML exploits on a Web page as exist in an HTML email?). The emails that are most successful in getting me to view as HTML (Alt-Shift-H) are those with both a text and an email version, like this one from Nuance:

===============
    "Dragon Training Resources"
    Dragon Case Studies
    What’s it really like to use Dragon speech recognition? Learn how customers across the country are using Dragon in their daily lives. Learn More <http://www.nuance.com/dragon/customer-references/customer-case-studies/index.htm>

Voices of Dragon
    Visit with Dragon users just like you and read their stories, get great advice from our very own Dragon “The Dictator,” Peter Mahoney, as well as tips each day - and more. Learn More <http://www.nuance.com/for-individuals/by-product/dragon-for-pc/existing-customers/hardware-compatibility/index.htm?elq=dd2f8c5a36a84ef6b451f67a9e7a4eba>

Using Microphones & Other Devices
    Along with the included noise-canceling headset, Premium and higher editions of Dragon can be used with wireless headsets, digital voice recorders, PDAs, and more. Learn More <http://app.marketing.nuance.com/e/er.aspx?s=274&lid=4005&elq=dd2f8c5a36a84ef6b451f67a9e7a4eba>   

etc.
    ===============

That email also has a full HTML version for those who do read email as HTML (you know, those folks who keep getting infected by various exploits and wondering why). Having the text version reassures recipients that the sender is someone they can trust, so they're more likely to click to a Web version, or press (Alt-Shift-H) to view the message as HTML. By taking the time to provide for both kinds of recipients, you maximize your effectiveness, and probably your conversion rate.

cheers,
    scott

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is common courtesy to recognize those who have helped you, and it also makes it easier for visitors to find the resolution later.
    Wednesday, November 23, 2011 2:21 PM
  • Hi There,

Yeah I took a look at the links, The emails are all internal ones for a business sent through outlook. They work fine when sent and there are no issues with the finished product. The question I have is does expression have the same function as frontpage to send a html page as email?

It would save time when reformatting the images and text boxes etc.

If it doesnt have this function then its not a huge problem just a bit of a pain.

The steps are as below:

I basically use expression web 4 to create the html page > export to frontpage> have to reposition elements > Send as email from frontpage

What i was wondering is can i do this:

Create in expression> send from expression as email.

Thanks for your help both.

Wednesday, November 23, 2011 2:25 PM
  • No, EW doesn't have that facility.

You can view the page you created in IE and opt to send the page by email, assuming your security and other settings are set in Internet Explorer correctly.

Take care, Mike

Wednesday, November 23, 2011 3:26 PM
  • If you send the emails on a regular basis I can recommend a product called GroupMail. It has an email compliant html designer, maintains mailing lists etc. There's a free version limited to 100 emails per day which may be sufficient. I've used it for several years myself and recommended it to clients who now use it too.

http://www.group-mail.com/asp/common/editions.asp

There are bulk mailing services for large volumes but I've GroupMail very adequate for periodic emailings to customers.

HTH

Ian Haynes

EW V4 Add-Ins
    EW resources, hints and tips
    Wednesday, November 23, 2011 3:33 PM
  • Great i didnt realise IE could do that. Might do the trick, hopefully I wont run into the formatting issues that way.

Thanks

Wednesday, November 23, 2011 3:45 PM
  • Personally I'd recommend using one of the applications designed to create multi-part mime emails which is the method used to give the viewer the ability to see both a text and html version as Scott mentioned is the preferred method.

As with Scott, everything in my inbox is plain text and most of our big clients are the same, some stripping out every bit of HTML when it comes into their email system. May seem draconian but they are multinational corporations who have had viruses and malware slipped in through html emails in the past. The cost was so great they simply decided not to allow html mail past their gateway in the future. Good news is they haven't had any trojans, viruses or keylogers on their employee systems in many years as a result.

Free Expression Web Tutorials
    For an Expression Web forum with without the posting issues try expressionwebforum.com
    Thursday, November 24, 2011 1:25 AM