Visual Studio Community, and Windows Media Player RRS feed

• Question

• I am having trouble with adding the Windows Media Player to the forms toolbox in Visual Studio Community. I go through all the required steps - and then I get this error

Task failed because "AxImp.exe" was not found, or the correct Microsoft Windows SDK is not installed. The task is looking for "AxImp.exe" in the "bin" subdirectory beneath the location specified in the InstallationFolder value of the registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft SDKs\NETFXSDK\4.6\WinSDK-NetFx40Tools-x86. You may be able to solve the problem by doing one of the following:  1) Install the Microsoft Windows SDK.  2) Install Visual Studio 2010.  3) Manually set the above registry key to the correct location.  4) Pass the correct location into the "ToolPath" parameter of the task.

I found AxImp.exe in C:\Program Files\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v7.0A\bin  and so dived into Regedit to tinker with the InstallationFolder value - but the named key was not in the registry!

I went back to a program which uses the Media Player, and which  ran from the VS Start button successfully a few weeks ago - and it produced the same error.

So I have a suspicion that a VS update has introduced a bug. If I reinstall the SDK, will I get the same error? Any thoughts on my correct way forward?

Shorter programs last longer

Tuesday, December 1, 2015 5:44 PM

Answers

• Hi obsolent,

Which Operation System are you using?

I create a Windows Forms project and add Windows Media Player to the Form with Visual Studio 2015 Update 1 on Windows 10. Everything works fine in my side.

Please try the steps that provided in the error message. Please re-install Microsoft Windows SDK first and then manually set the registry key to the correct location which you not found.

If the problem still exist, please try reset all settings for your Visual Studio 2015 through menu Tools -> Import and Export settings.

Since it works fine but after VS update, please try to repair your Visual Studio 2015 and then move the Windows Media Player from Toolbox and re-add it again.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

• Marked as answer by obsolent Monday, December 14, 2015 4:04 PM
    Thursday, December 3, 2015 5:46 AM

All replies

• Hi obsolent,

Which Operation System are you using?

I create a Windows Forms project and add Windows Media Player to the Form with Visual Studio 2015 Update 1 on Windows 10. Everything works fine in my side.

Please try the steps that provided in the error message. Please re-install Microsoft Windows SDK first and then manually set the registry key to the correct location which you not found.

If the problem still exist, please try reset all settings for your Visual Studio 2015 through menu Tools -> Import and Export settings.

Since it works fine but after VS update, please try to repair your Visual Studio 2015 and then move the Windows Media Player from Toolbox and re-add it again.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

• Marked as answer by obsolent Monday, December 14, 2015 4:04 PM
    Thursday, December 3, 2015 5:46 AM
  • Thank you Weiwei - installed VS 2015 - MediaPlayer now present and correct
    Monday, December 14, 2015 4:06 PM
  • Hi obsolent,

I'm glad that you have resolved your problem and thanks for sharing your solution here, which is benefit to other communities who has the same problem.

If any question i future, please feel free to come back to our forum.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

Tuesday, December 15, 2015 1:26 AM