none
Tip for upgrading OEM SMB server to communicate with Windows 10 RRS feed

• Question

• I posted this elsewhere in Windows Mobile but this forum seems more appropriate.

I'm upgrading an OEM SMB server to SMB2.1. I have the SMB2.1 multi protocol log in completed  and signing is enabled and appears to be working correctly, I'm advertising max read/write/transactions of 65536 and for now I've hardwired 32 as the credits granted in all replies. The Windows10 NET USE command proceeds to mount the share as asked but then it immediately  un-mounts the tree and then sends and SMB2 logoff command over the wire and prints "system error 53 has occurred". This same server code works well when accessed from the Samba smbclient tool or from a normal share mount through a Linux file manager, but not when attempted from mac OSX, which performs a lot more transactions before retrying and logging in with SMB1. Any thoughts on why Win10 would log out, and is there a way to get more chatty diagnostics from the Win10 client code perhaps ?

• Edited by peter_smb Monday, August 22, 2016 2:59 PM
    Monday, August 22, 2016 2:39 PM

All replies

• Hi Peter,

Thank you for your question.  An engineer with the protocols team will contact you soon.

Bryan S. Burgin Senior Escalation Engineer Microsoft Protocol Open Specifications Team

Monday, August 22, 2016 3:48 PM
  • Okay thanks.
    Monday, August 22, 2016 5:53 PM
  • Hi Peter:

We have received and working to address accordingly.  Quick clarification question, this works with Windows 10 client with the server configured at SMB2?   Just going to SMB2.1 is showing this now?

If so, can you send the network trace that shows the traffic from the Windows 10 client to the SMB2.1 server?

You can send it as an attachment to an email message to dochelp at Microsoft dot com with subject " Attention Nathan Manis".

Regards,

Nathan Manis

Tuesday, August 23, 2016 7:22 PM
  • Hi Nathan,

Thanks I will send that information along. I was never successful connection  to SMB2.002 (I think it is). I had been testing this with a Mac client more by accident than anything then I tried Win10, I think Win10 dropped the connection much earlier until I implemented the full 2.1 connection, I believe the default minimum protocol for Windows 10 is 2.1. My goal is to upgrade the SMBV1 server code base choosing the path to a moderately performing solution that will connect reliably to various clients (smb2 should be an advantage here) for file administration on an NAS device with alternative means of performing high speed operations.

Thursday, August 25, 2016 2:16 PM
  • Thanks Peter for sending along the information last week.   For the post here, here is the link we shared out after reviewing the data and question on the SMB signing:

Here is the link to relevant section of docs to help on SMB 2.x signing:

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc246575.aspx

Thanks,Nathan

Friday, September 9, 2016 6:12 PM