Windows Phone 8.1 UT: Can we do Unit testing only with the output binaries via command line RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

We are working on a Windows Phone 8.1 application and just add some UT cases. We want the UT could be run automatically after each sandbox build.

We have build machines(Virtual Machines ) running on servers,  because the UT needs to run emulator and that requires the Hyper-V capability but the server can not provide such capability. As a workaround, we want to prepare  local machines which have VS2013 installed and support Hyper-V. Then, run some scripts to download the build output binaries from build machines to local and  trigger UT via command line.

So, the question is : can we do this ? Is it supported by VS ? 

I guess the UT does not depends on VS project but i still want get confirm. Thank you !

Regards.

Dong.

Wednesday, November 19, 2014 6:45 AM

Answers

• Hi Dong,

Glad to see you again!J

>>We have build machines(Virtual Machines ) running on servers,  because the UT needs to run emulator and that requires the Hyper-V capability but the server can not provide such capability. As a workaround, we want to prepare local machines which have VS2013 installed and support Hyper-V. Then, run some scripts to download the build output binaries from build machines to local and trigger UT via command line.

So the real issue is that you want to download/copy the project and test project files (dll file or other) to your local machine which has the enough running Environment, am I right?

Firstly, for general unit test projects, we could copy/download the unit test library and project library to a new machine, and then run them in command line like the MSTest.exe or others.

But for Windows Phone unit tests, I’m afraid that I have no the real solution for it now since we are not very sure that what files are required for the tests in command line or how to really run them . But if you copy your project files and test project to the local machine, and then open it with VS IDE, of course, we could run the tests normally. Of course, if you have the tool like TFS for version control would be better for this issue. 

So the real issue would be related to the connect report about how to really run it in command line we discussed before.

Sincerely,

Jack

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

• Marked as answer by wd0623 Thursday, November 20, 2014 7:03 AM
    Thursday, November 20, 2014 6:57 AM

All replies

• Hi Dong,

Glad to see you again!J

>>We have build machines(Virtual Machines ) running on servers,  because the UT needs to run emulator and that requires the Hyper-V capability but the server can not provide such capability. As a workaround, we want to prepare local machines which have VS2013 installed and support Hyper-V. Then, run some scripts to download the build output binaries from build machines to local and trigger UT via command line.

So the real issue is that you want to download/copy the project and test project files (dll file or other) to your local machine which has the enough running Environment, am I right?

Firstly, for general unit test projects, we could copy/download the unit test library and project library to a new machine, and then run them in command line like the MSTest.exe or others.

But for Windows Phone unit tests, I’m afraid that I have no the real solution for it now since we are not very sure that what files are required for the tests in command line or how to really run them . But if you copy your project files and test project to the local machine, and then open it with VS IDE, of course, we could run the tests normally. Of course, if you have the tool like TFS for version control would be better for this issue. 

So the real issue would be related to the connect report about how to really run it in command line we discussed before.

Sincerely,

Jack

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

• Marked as answer by wd0623 Thursday, November 20, 2014 7:03 AM
    Thursday, November 20, 2014 6:57 AM
  • Hi Jack,

Thanks for your reply !

That's exactly what am wondering.

So, i will have a try after the issue on connect is resolved ! Thanks !

Best Regards.

Dong.

Thursday, November 20, 2014 7:05 AM
  • You are welcome, Dong!:)

I will follow up the connect report, too. If I get any latest information, I will share it here or in our forum.

Have a nice day,

Jack

Thursday, November 20, 2014 7:14 AM