How do I set the 'Scaled Assets'

Question

• I recently updated my Visual Studio, and I see that it now appears to be possible to create my  logo assets at various resolutions.  However, I do not seem to be able to correctly set them now.  For example, I can set the 270x270, 210x210, and 120x120 logos, but when I set the original size (150x150) all it shows is a box with an 'x' in it.  The same seems to be true for all the other Visual Assets (e.g. Splash Screen).  Also, it seems to be renaming the files I used for the larger sizes.  Are these file names fixed?

Thanks.

Thursday, February 21, 2013 5:08 PM

All replies

• This is exposed better in the Visual Studio update, but this functionality has been recommended for Windows Store apps since the beginning. See Guidelines for scaling to pixel density for more information on how this works.

The file names should all be the same root plus the scale- extension and will be renamed to fit that pattern. To use the asset the app specifies just the root name and the scale- extension is added at runtime.

The red X in the corner means that the logos aren't all valid, but you don't provide enough context to know how exactly we got into that state beyond making sure that everything is the right size and that you don't have both root.png and root.scale-100.png.

--Rob

Saturday, February 23, 2013 4:54 AM
    Owner
  • Thanks for the feedback.

The normal sized logo (i.e. 150x150) IS valid.  In fact it is the exact same logo that I was using before I updated Visual Studio, when it only asked for one.  If I load the old project and do not change ANYTHING, it shows the normal size as present and correct (even though the name does not have the '-100', i.e. it is not 'Logo.scale-100.png'), and the other sizes are missing.  However if I add any of the other sizes, they seem to work fine, but the normal size then shown with an 'x'.  This is true even if I add back in the normal size and it creates a file which includes the '-100' (i.e. one named 'Logo-scale-100.png').  Nothing I do seems to make the normal size work if I include any of the other sizes.

Thanks.

Saturday, February 23, 2013 8:24 PM
  • Not sure if you are still trying to resolve this but I think that all of the files need to be *named* consistently, so if you are providing DPI-scaled versions, the 150x150 file needs to be Logo.scale-100.png, not Logo-scale.

If you have all four files named consistently, it should work, i.e. Logo.scale-80.png, Logo.scale-100.png, Logo.scale-140.png and Logo.scale-180.png.

Hope that helps.

Tuesday, July 23, 2013 1:16 PM