POS data RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I'm looking for a solution for the following situation :

A business is sending POS data to google sheets at the moment and they started having issues with capacity , Google sheets has a 5 million cells limit

What alternative solution azure offers with good price ?

Thanks

Sunday, October 6, 2019 4:23 PM

All replies

• hello Farbod Fathi, 

This sounds like it might be a design issue. From your description, i believe the business is using Google sheets to display POS data. Once the limits of Google sheets and excel online have been reached then you probably should look at the design.

For example, if all data is being loaded into a single sheet then maybe another strategy would be to save the data in segments and only load what is required. Each day of activity could be written to a blob and then loaded into Google sheets. Only the required days need to be loaded depending on the scenario.

My suggestion is thing about separating the data from the presentation. In Azure this can be done by storing the data in Azure Blob storage. You could still use a Google sheets for the presentation.

It does sound like the business has outgrown Google sheets/Excel online/etc. and probably require some form of repository (SQL/Cosmos/Azure Table) but it is hard to know without more information.

Cheers, Jeff

Monday, October 7, 2019 2:24 AM
  • Hi Jeff,

Thanks for your reply

Yes this business is sending financial data from multiple POS to google sheets through its Api and after doing this for the last 4-5 years now they have issue with capacity

sounds like you are recommending to use azure blob storage , i will look into it 

Is it easy to access them like its easy on google sheets ?

Thanks

Monday, October 7, 2019 9:09 PM
  • Is this because they are sending the financial data to the same sheet? As in they have all the historical data in the same sheet? Or have they had an increase in the amount of financial data?

If they do have all the historical data then can you take a backup (historical sheet for example) and remove the history? If so then they can just keep the same approach as it seems to be working for them.

In regards to integration with sheets, I have heard of third party services to perform this as well as using Logic Apps, Power Apps and Flow (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/connectors/googlesheet/). But this does not sound like it will help the issue as I think it is just the company has outgrown Sheets unless they change how they are using it (not so much historical data).

Cheers, Jeff

Monday, October 7, 2019 10:12 PM
  • Jeff,

You are right , they are sending everything to one sheet because reviewing is easier for them this way

I offered having a backup and deleting old data to have full space again but they want to have everything in one sheet

I will look into your recommendations 

Thanks 

Farbod

Tuesday, October 8, 2019 9:52 PM
  • Is there any update on the issue?

If the suggested answer helped for your issue, do click on "Mark as Answer" and “Up-Vote ” on the post that helps you, this can be beneficial to other community members.

Wednesday, October 23, 2019 4:41 AM
  • @Farbod Fathi Just checking in to see if the above answer helped. If this answers your query, do click “Mark as Answer” and Up-Vote for the same, which might be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. And, if you have any further query do let us know.
    Thursday, October 24, 2019 5:52 AM
  • Following up to see if the above suggestion was helpful. And, if you have any further query do let us know.If the suggested answer helped for your issue, do click on "Mark as Answer" and “Vote as Helpful” on the post that helps you, this can be beneficial to other community members.
    Thursday, October 31, 2019 3:40 PM