[E2013][C#] How to prevent user from updating its own events on Exchange RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everybody,

I hope you can help me. I have a system based on Exchange / Outlook 2013, and I would like to put on user's calendar some events that they can't delete nor update. I have tried to create appointments using Exchange EWS with an administrator account, but the problem is that those events can be deleted or updated by users. This is because the events are on user's own calendar, so usually user can update them. 

How can I have "some" events to be readonly for a user, but must be visibile in its own calendar? (No other calendar overlay). Is there a way to throw an exception or something similar on Exchange Server when a user modify those events (some custom property must identify them, of course)? I have looked at transport agents, but I haven't found any example for managing calendar items server side. 

I cannot use only an Outlook plugin because users could connect to exchange with smartphone, and they could update appointments from there. I have to prevent updating (from Outlook and from smartphone, basically from everywhere except for an administrator user) for some events (programmatically created by EWS, for example) which are in user's calendar. Can you help me?

Thanks, 

Antonio

Thursday, January 29, 2015 1:42 PM

Answers

• Hi Antonio,

bad news for you: It's impossible. A User always has full control over all items in his or her mailbox (including his calendar), no matter what you do.

If it's important enough to you, you can write a service that monitors all those specific appointments and undos all changes the user applies to them (it won't keep the user from changing the Appointment, but it will not have effect for long. Your users may feel a bit upset about that though).

Cheers,
    Fred

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Thursday, January 29, 2015 2:12 PM