Publish To Azure Destruction Confusion RRS feed

• Question

• User1503189645 posted

I have been working through the EF online tutorial and came to these instructions.

I can only assume they are out of date...no surprise.  However as I have not used Azure until this morning they are too confusing for me to follow.  The portal I get too doesn't even suggest a management portal or contain any of the pictured stuff????

Create a web site and a SQL database in Azure

Your web app in Azure will run in a shared hosting environment, which means it runs on virtual machines (VMs) that are shared with other Azure clients. A shared hosting environment is a low-cost way to get started in the cloud. Later, if your web traffic increases, the application can scale to meet the need by running on dedicated VMs.

You'll deploy the database to Azure SQL Database. SQL Database is a cloud-based relational database service that is built on SQL Server technologies. Tools and applications that work with SQL Server also work with SQL Database.

1. In the Azure Management Portal, click Web Sites in the left tab, and then click New.

New button in Management Portal

2. Click CUSTOM CREATE.

Create with Database link in Management Portal

The New Web Site - Custom Create wizard opens.
    3. In the New Web Site step of the wizard, enter a string in the URL box to use as the unique URL for your application. The complete URL will consist of what you enter here plus the suffix that you see next to the text box. The illustration shows "ConU", but that URL is probably taken so you will have to choose a different one.

Create with Database link in Management Portal

4. In the Region drop-down list, choose a region close to you. This setting specifies which data center your web site will run in.
    5. In the Database drop-down list, choose Create a free 20 MB SQL database.

6. In the DB CONNECTION STRING NAME, enter SchoolContext.

7. Click the arrow that points to the right at the bottom of the box. The wizard advances to the Database Settings step.
    8. In the Name box, enter ContosoUniversityDB.
    Saturday, December 31, 2016 11:11 PM

All replies

• User541108374 posted

Hi,

the pictures were made when the new management portal was put into place. You can find it at https://manage.windowsazure.com.

Since then a new DevOps portal has been set up and everything from the new portal (there were already 2 before that one) is being migrated to the new new portal (the devops one - which you can find at https://portal.azure.com/).

Grz, Kris.

Monday, January 2, 2017 10:16 AM