IE9 Making Progress RRS feed

• General discussion

• Work continues on IE9 and it looks promising.  http://samples.msdn.microsoft.com/ietestcenter/

Microsoft has improved its Acid Test 3 scores from 45% to 55% in the last revision. What is totally amazing (not really) is that on the hundred some new tests, that they are suggesting to be included in the Acid Test suite, IE9 scores 100% while the competition does poorly. A lot of these tests are situations where broken code is provided and the browser is supposed to gag on it. So if the feature wasn't implemented in the first place your browser will pass the new test. Sneaky those guys from Redmond.
    Wednesday, June 2, 2010 8:37 PM

All replies

• "Internet Explorer Platform Preview requires Windows Vista or Windows 7."

Kind of sucks for those of us stuck using XP...

Jim

Wednesday, June 2, 2010 9:00 PM
  • Yeah, well when you run an 8 year old OS you have to expect that some things won't run on it. There comes a point in time when you gotta upgrade to a more modern OS.
    MS MVP Expression Tutorials & Help http://by-expression.com
    Wednesday, June 2, 2010 9:28 PM
  • There comes a point in time when you gotta upgrade to a more modern OS.

Maybe, maybe not. The vast majority of my client base is still using WinXP. Only one client machine is at Win7 and the Vista penetration is about 10%.

I do agree with you. Trouble is, if I upgrade I get ahead of my client base and then I start to lose context, making support more difficult. That's what Vista really did to me - instead of my having an orderly advance of OS versions to manage, there was a huge stall.

Will
    Baltimore, MD USA - www.fastie.com
    Wednesday, June 2, 2010 10:15 PM
  • If only the hospital had money to spend on upgrades! There is zero chance of it happening anytime soon. I guess what annoys me the most is that all the latest versions of other browsers run on XP. I guess I will be forced to ignore IE9 when I'm testing for browser compatibility. I'll just focus on the others, especially FF, and IE8 and below, and trust that 9 will display properly. Maybe when IE9 is released MS can do a service pack for SP that will simulate IE9 for all us impoverished and technically backwards sorts.

Jim

Wednesday, June 2, 2010 10:36 PM
  • Well I don't expect IE 9 to be released for some time and hopefully by then you'll be able to use SuperPreveiw even if you don't have IE 9 installed or you will be able to use Browserlabs (online service) from Adobe.

Out clients have all moved off XP as of last year. One has moved to Win 7 and a couple more are in the process of test deployments of it.

MS MVP Expression Tutorials & Help http://by-expression.com
    Wednesday, June 2, 2010 11:04 PM
  • Our clients have all moved off XP as of last year. One has moved to Win 7 and a couple more are in the process of test deployments of it.

Lucky you.
    Wednesday, June 2, 2010 11:15 PM
  • I'm still on XP.  I like the simplicity of the interface.  To me its much cleaner and less bubblegum-sugary.

--
    Chris Hanscom - Microsoft MVP
    On Facebook | On Twitter | Resource Center | Veign's Blog | Web Development Help

Get a Complete Website Analysis by Veign
    Wednesday, June 2, 2010 11:17 PM
  • I really like Windows 7. I haven't noticed anything dirty or bubblegum-sugary. Just saying.
    Thursday, June 3, 2010 1:02 AM
  • I also find the UI of Windows 7 clean. It's better, overall, than Windows XP. And it's safer to use.

For the purposes of testing and supporting your clients, consider using virtual computers.

Thursday, June 3, 2010 1:17 AM
  • Thursday, June 3, 2010 1:42 AM
  • For the purposes of testing and supporting your clients, consider using virtual computers.

Yeah, that's good advice.
    Will
    Baltimore, MD USA - www.fastie.com
    Thursday, June 3, 2010 1:43 AM
  • XP -- me too. I'm not converting to Win 7 until I'm forced to.

Heck, I'm still using Office 2000. I think it's the last version of Office you can install on multiple machines with no hassle, so when I get a new puter, I dont buy office I install my "old" Office 2000 programs.

Oh, it's worse than that, my Office 2000 is an upgrade version, so I also keep my Office 97 which I need in order to install the Office 2000. I think it's been installed on 4 computers by now.

I was starting to get worried what with people sending me .docx files I couldnt open with Word 2000 until I discovered MS put out a file format convertor that makes 2000 still good to go.

I'm aiming for 200,000 miles in my 2000 minivan too -- almost there!

Not into numerology though ---

ClarkNK, A.K.A. HomePage Doctor
    HomePageDoctor.com -- Expression Web database tutorials
    Ownertrades.com -- Created with FP, Access, Bots and Wizards
    MyNumbersTracker.com -- Created with Expression, VWDExress, SQL Express, and ASP.NET.
    Thursday, June 3, 2010 11:52 AM
  • That's OK, Clark. Some people still live without a mobile phone. So, you're doing pretty well :)
    Thursday, June 3, 2010 8:16 PM
  • That's OK, Clark. Some people still live without a mobile phone. So, you're doing pretty well :)

I don't have a mobile phone but I have three copies of Windows 7 and I love all three.

Friday, June 4, 2010 4:04 AM