Crash count and Ranking : sandboxed ? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I've a great app, with a lot of downloads (because of blogs/marketing) and a lot of positive reviews (20K > 4.5)but my ranking on the Store is very bad on each word I chose. Well, I had a lot of bugs (25K for 100K download, yes it's huge) due to various things (low mem devices principally), but I fixed them. So today I just have few crashes per day (100 per days due to old versions (people don't want to download the new version...) but just 4/5 per day for the new version).

Well, as you can imagine my ranking is completely bad, I fixed the bug there is 3 weeks, and I don't see any improve since... Is there a "date" for the algorithm for the crash count : does it use the total crash count (in this case, I'm done) or just a period (maybe the last 30 days?).

I am currently wondering if I should publish a new app (new ID => no more crash !) and unpublish the old, I don't want to "spam" the store (and redirect the users could be...weird!) but if I have no answer from MS, I can't make my business with a bad ranking.

Thank for your help.

• Edited by Poppyto Sunday, October 19, 2014 6:51 PM
    Sunday, October 19, 2014 6:48 PM

All replies

• Creating a new App would also lose all your existing users. I don't think it's a viable approach either. Right now however your App likely still is creating quite a few crashes each day, so that will keep on dragging it down.

Another thing to keep in mind is that you don't know what DL numbers, etc. competing Apps are seeing. So not only might they have an advantage when it comes to the crash number but also when it comes to downloads. Resubmitting as a new App would reset your DL numbers as well and it's a very good question wether the crash numbers reset would offset the DL number reset (and getting blogs to rerun a story on your App is pretty hard as well).

Monday, October 20, 2014 7:44 AM
  • I can imagine other download apps, specially when these are SPAM or bad apps (they are a lot...) with 0 and 2 reviews and it's hard to know why they are behind mine, so the only thing I see is the crash count. I think I can find an elegant way to redirect current customers to my new app (I can migrate their purchases remotely on my DB). The DL should be high because users would migrate to the new one...

So the real question at the moment is, is the crash count use the last 30 days or the total crash count ?

Thank for the MSFT team to help me ;)

• Edited by Poppyto Monday, October 20, 2014 5:24 PM mistake
    Monday, October 20, 2014 5:24 PM
  • It could be cool if someone of Microsoft could advise on this case ? Anybody ? 

Thank

Wednesday, October 22, 2014 5:16 PM