none
Vista vs Windows XP RRS feed

• Question

• Dear All,

I have a problem in executing my application in windows vista, I developed an application that will open any mdb file, and it will show the user the schema and the data that are stored in this DB, I tested my code in mdb file which contains 2 tables, one of them contains 300 records while the other contains about 12000 records, when I run the exe in windows XP (I have VS 2008 installed on Windows XP), the code works fine.

But When I copied the exe file and the mdb file to windows vista the application works correctly except when I select the table the contains the 12000 records, this will drive the exe to hang and the system gives me that the exe is Not Responding . (happened when DataAdapter.Fill method is called)

Why this happened and what is the solution for this?????

Regards
    Monday, July 13, 2009 10:23 AM

Answers

• What is the performance like when running on XP?

Can you get some more information, can you figure out what version of the .net Framework is installed on each of these computers. All you have to do is go to the Windows\Microsoft.Net\Framework\2.0 directory and then look at the file version for System.Data which dataset is part of.

Also you can try wrapping the fill statement like this

try
    {
        adapter.Fill(datatable);
    }
    catch(Exception exc)
    {
        MessageBox.Show(exc.ToString())
    }

If its hanging due to a exception this will display a dialog with the exception. This should allow you to further debug the issue.

Thanks
    Chris Robinson
    Program Manager - DataSet

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Monday, July 13, 2009 4:22 PM