none
Error Installing SQL Server 2016 Express

Question

• I am trying to install SQL Server 2016 with SP1 Express Edition on Windows Server R2 but I am having trouble.

The installation wizard tells me that the download is successful, but halfway through the installation I get a message saying:

Oops..

Unable to install SQL Server (setup.exe).

Exit Code (Decimal)

Error Description

The Service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion. 

The log file is not much help because all it tells me is that the installer was attempting to open the registry and got stuck. This is the last four lines of the log file:

(01) 2017-01-23 21:50:59 Slp: Sco: Attempting to create base registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, machine 
    (01) 2017-01-23 21:50:59 Slp: Sco: Attempting to open registry subkey Software\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server\Instance Names
    (01) 2017-01-23 21:50:59 Slp: Sco: Attempting to open registry subkey RS
    (01) 2017-01-23 21:50:59 Slp: SetupTelemetry: Telemetry has an active session with 53 events.

• Edited by jnqureshi Monday, January 23, 2017 3:03 PM
    Monday, January 23, 2017 3:03 PM

All replies

• Hi jnqureshi,

Could you please download the setup.exe file and install this file manually? You can click the Download Media to download this file, it is shown as below picture:

Besides, please run the setup.exe as Administrator, we will meet the error code '-2147467259' in many scenarios, if you still see the error message when you installing the setup.exe, please go to Windows Event Viewer to find the related error.

If you have any other questions, please let me know.

Best Regards,
    Teige

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, January 24, 2017 2:06 AM
  • There may not be a need to re-download the setup files, as that would have been done already by the SQL Server Installer (pictured above). The setup file default location is C:\SQLServer2016Media, however if you change the Installation Location to a different drive, then replace "C" with that drive letter.

Setup logs can be found under %programfiles%\Microsoft sql server\130\setup bootstrap\log. Can you complress the contents and put on a share so I can take a look? Alternatively you could send them to me jpapiez @ Microsoft . com.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Tuesday, January 24, 2017 6:17 PM