EWS via Powershell dependent on Outlook to connect RRS feed

• Question

• My organization is in the process of switching from Groupwise to Exchange and when complete we will be running on a cloud based server. 

I am developing Powershell scripts to send emails using EWS. Using a local Exchange server, everything worked fine. Then I switched to using the cloud server onmicrosoft.com.  Initially I thought everything was fine but eventually I determined that with the cloud server there seems to be a dependency on starting Outlook before the EWS will work. I see no such dependency with the local server. 

Outlook can be left open or closed and the Powershell EWS will continue to work for a few hours but eventually it stops working until a fresh restart of Outlook is performed.  Can anyone tell me why this happens and what can be done to resolve the problem?

Thursday, October 16, 2014 4:26 PM

Answers

• There is no requirement for Outlook to be available or even installed on the same machine EWS is being run on. There might a network issue on your end, where having Outlook open keeps a connection open and closing it closes that connection. Hop on your nearest wifi hotspot with a laptop and run some basic commands to list folders in EWS and see if you notice a difference.

DJ Grijalva | MCITP: EMA 2007/2010 SPA 2010 | www.persistentcerebro.com

• Marked as answer by JimGlt Monday, October 20, 2014 2:31 PM
    Thursday, October 16, 2014 4:40 PM
  • hi jim as DJ advised there is no dependency for outlook. you can even remove outlook and check. i would like to see what yuur eventviewer is saying. you can filter the last 24 hours error and see if there is anything abnormal.

Mark as useful or answered if my replies helped you solving your query.
    Thanks, Happiness Always
    Jatin

• Marked as answer by JimGlt Monday, October 20, 2014 3:04 PM
    Thursday, October 16, 2014 8:21 PM

All replies

• There is no requirement for Outlook to be available or even installed on the same machine EWS is being run on. There might a network issue on your end, where having Outlook open keeps a connection open and closing it closes that connection. Hop on your nearest wifi hotspot with a laptop and run some basic commands to list folders in EWS and see if you notice a difference.

DJ Grijalva | MCITP: EMA 2007/2010 SPA 2010 | www.persistentcerebro.com

• Marked as answer by JimGlt Monday, October 20, 2014 2:31 PM
    Thursday, October 16, 2014 4:40 PM
  • Thanks for letting me know there is no dependency on Outlook.  I will concentrate on finding a network issue.  The test machine I am using is on an oddball domain that was set up to go with the local Exchange server.  I will move the testing to a different domain and see what happens. 

Thursday, October 16, 2014 6:56 PM
  • hi jim as DJ advised there is no dependency for outlook. you can even remove outlook and check. i would like to see what yuur eventviewer is saying. you can filter the last 24 hours error and see if there is anything abnormal.

Mark as useful or answered if my replies helped you solving your query.
    Thanks, Happiness Always
    Jatin

• Marked as answer by JimGlt Monday, October 20, 2014 3:04 PM
    Thursday, October 16, 2014 8:21 PM
  • Jatin,

Thanks for the feedback.  I have started testing on a different machine and different network domain.  The machine does not have Outlook and initial testing has been successful so that certainly proves the point of no dependency.  I was unaware of the Eventviewer until you mentioned it.  I don't see anything unusual around the time of the last failure on Thursday.  I think DJ is right about it being a network issue and I will pursue it from that angle.  Thanks again.

Jim 

Monday, October 20, 2014 3:16 PM