Test Case Management-vsts RRS feed

• Question

• Give the brief  information for the Test Case Management in VSTS and benefits?
    Friday, April 6, 2007 1:19 PM

Answers

• Hello,

I'm going to try to answer your question, but please let me know if you have any specific issues that you want me to address; since the question is generic, my answer could appear to be as well.

I would say that the greatest benefit that you get with our test case management story is the integration between your tests in visual studio with your source control, bug tracking, and reporting in TFS. They are all in the same IDE. VSTS provides you with a test case manager, where you can create test lists and group your different kinds of tests. You can then run these groups of tests via the IDE and/or the commandline. Once you have test results, you can publish them to Team Foundation Server. You can open bugs from your failures and relate these failures to specific bugs. You can also create your reports based on your test results.

Again, I think that the greatest benefit you get is the whole integration story. Everything fits into one same package.

For our next versions, we are creating an even tighter story between test case management and team foundation server. Our TCM story will be much more dynamic, and we will be working on some cool features that our customers will know about soon (they are actually features that we've heard from you guys, so there's a big hint Smile )

If you have any other questions, please let me know

David Gorena Elizondo
    [MSFT] VSTS

Saturday, April 7, 2007 12:30 AM
  • Hello,

We don't have any official dates; we're definitely not going to have the features for our next immediate release (Orcas), but we're planning on having them at a point somewhere after that. Stay tuned.

Thanks,

David Gorena Elizondo
      [Team Test]

Friday, May 4, 2007 8:25 PM

All replies

• Hello,

I'm going to try to answer your question, but please let me know if you have any specific issues that you want me to address; since the question is generic, my answer could appear to be as well.

I would say that the greatest benefit that you get with our test case management story is the integration between your tests in visual studio with your source control, bug tracking, and reporting in TFS. They are all in the same IDE. VSTS provides you with a test case manager, where you can create test lists and group your different kinds of tests. You can then run these groups of tests via the IDE and/or the commandline. Once you have test results, you can publish them to Team Foundation Server. You can open bugs from your failures and relate these failures to specific bugs. You can also create your reports based on your test results.

Again, I think that the greatest benefit you get is the whole integration story. Everything fits into one same package.

For our next versions, we are creating an even tighter story between test case management and team foundation server. Our TCM story will be much more dynamic, and we will be working on some cool features that our customers will know about soon (they are actually features that we've heard from you guys, so there's a big hint Smile )

If you have any other questions, please let me know

David Gorena Elizondo
    [MSFT] VSTS

Saturday, April 7, 2007 12:30 AM
  • We are implimenting TFS in my company and I am a little confused between the use of the term 'test case' as it applies to TCM in TFS.  I see the 'test approach' document template.  I understand how to create the different kids of tests.  I suppose what I am looking for is the test case that is mentioned in the workflow of testing a scenario.  How do you reccomend linking a scenario to an actual test in the solution explorer.  I want to create a scenario and test approach for a project in team explorer, then assign the task associated with the scenario to build the test.  Then construct the test and have it linked back to the scenario.  Is the task of creating the test script the 'test case' or is the actual 'web test' (For example) the test case and the test script all rolled into one?
    Monday, April 9, 2007 6:46 PM
  • Hello,

In our current version of the product, tests themselves could be seen as test cases. Although you could potentially create it, we don't have a separate notion of tests, tests cases, and test scenarios. You can have a scenario in a manual test, or in a test method. We link bugs to test failures, and not "test cases".

For our future versions, we are working to provide a whole better story around test cases and test case manager.

Thanks,
    David Gorena Elizondo
    [MSFT] VSTS

Monday, April 9, 2007 9:03 PM
  • Hi David,

We're pretty close to trying to develop our own tools to manage VSTS tests, but we'd like to avoid it if we can...  Do you guys have a target release date set for the next version (that you talked about in your initial reply to this thread)?  We'd much prefer to wait a couple months and use your tools than sinking resources into building our own. 

Thanks,

James

Friday, May 4, 2007 8:10 PM
  • Hello,

We don't have any official dates; we're definitely not going to have the features for our next immediate release (Orcas), but we're planning on having them at a point somewhere after that. Stay tuned.

Thanks,

David Gorena Elizondo
      [Team Test]

Friday, May 4, 2007 8:25 PM
  • Hi David

I would like to thank you for your replay then i want to explain to you our process to show me how to use VSTS with this process
    i receive the requirements from PM and making the Test case for this requirements then the tester run this test cases and make the issues when he run it.
    - I need to know what is requirements related to any test cases and conversely the test cases which related to this requirement
    - I need to know what is the issues which related to any requirement or test case and conversely the issues which link to any requirement or test case

Wednesday, May 23, 2007 1:46 PM
  • Hi Mohamed

In our current version of the product, we do not have a concept of "Requirement" or "Test case" per se. We have learned from customers like you a lot in the last few years, and believe me, we're working on a product that will have all of these things that you're talking about.

In our current version, we go from manual tests (which are docs where we write our test steps) to automating the tests (unit tests, generic tests, ordered tests, etc). After running these tests (either manually or through automation), we can create bugs/issues for the failures that we have; we can link test results to bugs/issues by adding TFS into our integration story.

In the future... we're planning to integrate testing into TFS in a tighter way, and it is then where we will integrate all of the concepts that you're mentioning: requirements, test cases, reports, etc.

Hope this makes sense,

David Gorena Elizondo
      [Team Test]

Wednesday, May 23, 2007 11:28 PM
  • Hello David,

In my company, we use Visual Studio Ultimate 2010. To make the best use of the great features it has, i have the question below :

"Is there a way to lock or revoke permissions on specific fields in specific work items, when the rest fields are open for modifications ?"

The below scenario can tell you why we need to do that:

Testers generate Test Cases for each Requirement,

Then developers write their code that applies those Test Cases,

Then Testers test whether or not developers applied the Test Cases, and update the test case to have the comments and so on..

What we need is to have a mechanism for to block the Test Cases details form being edited during the implementation phase, so that developers can work using them while they are confident they are not going to change during their work.

Is this doable ?

Thanks in advance,

Eman Al-Zoghby

Wednesday, July 27, 2011 11:27 AM
  • I like the tool for integration, however I find the interface limiting, and feel it is handicaped by not allowing testers to make modifications to the UI and workflow.  In order for it to be a true test management tool, it needs to give testers with contributor rights the ability to do the following:

1.  Create test environments

2.  Modify the UI and Workflow for the Test Plan, Test Case and Bugs

We had this ability in Quality Center, I would like to see the same thing happen in MTM 2012, or the relase after that.

Sophia Johnson QA Director MediMedia

Thursday, August 9, 2012 7:19 PM