none
UWP application hangs-up on BLEWatcher restart RRS feed

• Question

• My application is a headless UWP one running in Win 10 Iot build 10.0.17035.1000 on a Raspberry Pi3 SBC. For some time I was trying to solve application hang-up on BLEWatcher operation. To simulate my application behavior I put some simple simulation code in the sample BluetoothAdvertisement solution I got from the MS Windows-universal-samples-master https://github.com/Microsoft/Windows-universal-samples) and ran it as a stand-alone application on my Raspberry Pi 3 SBC. After about an hour the problem appeared- the application just hanged-up. Lately my simulation application detected BLEWatcher status "Aborted" with the error showing "RadioNotAvailable". The attempt to restart BLEWatcher did not help. The application remained in stalled state. Only a complete device (Win 10 IoT) restart was able to restart BLEWatcher to run for some time.

Recently a colleague of mine observed the same problem- the BLEWatcher stall (hang-up). He uses, the previous Windows 10 Insiders Preview build for a laptop with a Bluetooth stick. He found that this happened if there was no BLE activity from his application for more than a second. Is there a BLE timeout we don' have control over? All these findings narrow the possible cause for this problem to the current Win 10 IoT BLE Stack (or interfacing with it) and, of my understanding, not to the hardware platform or the Bluetooth chip. We hope that the Win 10 IoT team will fix this issue as soon as possible.

• Edited by Paul_I Friday, February 2, 2018 4:09 PM
    Wednesday, January 31, 2018 4:23 PM