none
With windows 2012 Hyper-V, how to provide Internet to virtual machines which use Internal switch? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there,

Most of items out there about Hyper-V 3.0 or Windows 2012 with Hyper-V greatly explain what and how about External, Internal and Private Switch.

The words talk about themselves what each switch here is for.

As a Hyper-V newby, I am very confused about how to provide Internet Access for Virtual Machines on Internal Internal Switch.
    On Windows 2012 with Hyper-V, how do I get VM on Internal Switch have access Internet without using Internet Shared Connection (it worked on Windows 8 client, not the server); or without using the RRAS?

Am I the only one! .. how to provide Internet to virtual machines which use Internal  switch?

1)The start point is having the Hyper-V host with 1 external switch and a LAN IP Address on that external NIC.

- I have done it and my host has Internet connection.

2)Next is to create an Internal Switch for VM. Or should another External Switch with it's own NIC be created for Virtual Machines?

Thesea are VM already in the LAN - the same LAN of the Hyper-V host .

3) I did assign virtual machine with the Management NIC to get Internet and it worked.
    From what I am reading this is not the best practice.

Thanks for your reply

Jimm

Wednesday, February 27, 2013 9:57 AM

All replies