none
having trouble changing target framework RRS feed

• Question

• Whenever I try to change the target framework, I get a message that says "A remote operation is taking longer than expected" with a Terminate button.

When I press the Terminate button and try to run the project, I get the same message followed by another that says"Error while trying to run project: application path..., The network connection to the Visual Studio Remote Debugger has been closed" 

• Edited by VB_Harry Sunday, February 10, 2013 8:35 PM
    Sunday, February 10, 2013 8:34 PM

All replies

• Hi VB_Harry,

This forum supports .NET installation itself so I have to clarify some details.

1. Please use this tool first http://blogs.msdn.com/b/astebner/archive/2008/10/13/8999004.aspx

Verify installed .NET Framework on your OS. If all of them verified without error. This issue do not related to .NET Setup.

2. Please try create a new simple project and run this application. Check if the error persists. This will help us to konw if your VS is corrupt.

3. Share your project details and programming language here. Also share the time when the second error occcured, does it mean you meet this error when debug your project?

Since you error msg reports that you have network connection problem. May I ask this question: Does the project you tried to open is not located on your OS?

Regards,

Barry Wang
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Monday, February 11, 2013 9:43 AM
  • Hi Barry Wang

Thank you for your interest, and sorry if misplaced my question, At first I thought it had something to do with  the .Net framework but after I used the .Net setup verifier as you told me I found out that there is nothing wrong with it and that all versions of the .Net are installed.

I use Visual studio 2012 express for windows desktop, visual basic on a windows7, x64bit operating system

And this is What happens: I start visual studio and choose new project (windows forms application)

and before I add any controls or write any code I go to project properties and I change the target framework to a version earlier than v 4.5 and this is when the first msg appears, then I press Terminate and I find that the target framework have changed to the version that I chose so I press start to debug the project to see if it's working and here is when the second msg appears

On the compile tab When I change the target CPU to x86 and then change the Target framework

it works although some warnings appear at the bottom of the screen, but my problem is that I can't change the target framework and start debugging the project while the target cpu is AnyCPU, Also when I try to change the target CPU to x64 the same problem occurs even before I change the target framework.

Thanks again

Best regards,

• Edited by VB_Harry Monday, February 11, 2013 3:23 PM
    Monday, February 11, 2013 3:21 PM
  • Hi VB_Harry,

I cannot reproduce your error from my side.

Could you please try the following:

1. Type "WDExpress.exe /log" from "Start"->"Run" prompt. Refer to http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-US/library/ms241272(v=vs.110).aspx . Then upload the log file to www.skydrive.com and share the link to me. 

2. Repair VS Express 2012 for Windwos Desktop from control panel

3. If the error persists, try uninstall and reinstall the products and use  http://aka.ms/vscollect   to gather the installation logs. After using it, you will find vslogs.cab from %temp% folder.

Let me check your logs for details.

Regards,

Barry Wang
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Tuesday, February 12, 2013 8:14 AM
  • Hi Barry Wang

When I type "WDExpress.exe /log", this message comes up "Windows cannot find 'WDExpress.exe'. Make sure you typed the name correctly,and then try again.

Wednesday, February 13, 2013 12:50 PM
  • Hi VB_Harry,

Sorry I'm on my Chinese Holiday. Please drag WDExpress.exe from its file location and add /log option.

Regards,

Barry Wang

Monday, February 18, 2013 7:08 AM